Instant pot popcorn is quick and easy snack that you can whip up in no time using just 3 basic ingredients. Planning to go on Netflix binge or simply looking for quickest snack for your hungry kids returning from school, this simple homemade instant pot popcorn will come handy.
Homemade popcorn doesn’t take much skill or ingredients and it’s so much healthier than the microwavable packages or store bought ones. Make it on stove top, microwave or using a pressure cooker (instant pot), choice is yours.
Using pressure cooker to pop a big tub of popcorn has always been our way of doing homemade popcorn. While one can argue that making popcorn in microwave is easiest, I always rely on pressure cooker to pop my pop corns. It just feels safer and i’m just too comfortable making popcorn in pressure cooker (normal pressure cooker).
Since I joined the instant pot band wagon, I have been using it to cook everything I can and I must admit I have been enjoying using my instant pot. For those who say –“It’s really stupid to use instant pot for cooking every dish, especially those dishes which can be easily made on stove top. I got one thing to say – ‘why not?!’ If I can cook it in instant pot and stove top, I choose to do it in my instant pot. What’s wrong with that!?”
Netflix is like a black hole, once you’re in there’s no light at the end of the vortex. You get on Netflix to watch one episode of your favorite series, and it becomes impossible to watch just one episode or one movie in one sitting. You just go on from one to next and to next. While Netflix addiction is a real thing and most of us are addicted(no judgement there, we all are!). I can’t help you out on the addiction part. But I can definitely help you on keeping you comfortable and entertained while you are on Netflix. You just want to get comfortable on your bed or couch, have a tub of homemade popcorn to share with family and get on Netflix binge!
If you like just good old plain popcorn or looking for something elaborate popcorn snacks this instant pot popcorn recipe will come handy.
And what’s even better other than this recipe being simple? It’s super fun to watch corn kernels popping. My kids couldn’t stay away from the instant pot in spite of me trying to keep them away. They jumped with joy watching popcorn. In case you notice reflections and shadows moving in this video recipe, you now know what the shadows are! LOL
Healthy homemade instant pot popcorn
Homemade popcorn is that one snack your whole family will love. Sunday evening gather with a big tub of homemade popcorn for movie night. We are talking homemade instant pot popcorn (or even stove top popcorn) made from scratch. Make it in instant pot or stove top, honestly there is no much difference. Let’s be honest, instant pot popcorn method is really not going to save time. No magic there. But IT DOES WORK! Along with using instant pot so many quick, healthy recipes, you can even use it to pop your popcorn! There’s that!
Homemade popcorn are THE BEST, because –
It’s quick – you can make it at home without spending too much time.
3 basic ingredients – well 2 if you look at it, that’s popcorn kernels and clarified butter or ghee. Let’s not forget seasoning, SALT! It’s no good without seasoning.
Easy and healthy after school snack – popcorn are whole grains. It’s rich in fiber.
Endless way to flavor it up – you can add your own flavors that works for you.
What you need for instant pot popcorn
For plain salted popcorn you’ll need –
½ cup popcorn kernels
2 tablespoon clarified butter (ghee) or coconut oil
2 teaspoon salt (or popcorn seasoning)
Add other seasoning as you wish once your popcorn is ready.
How to make instant pot popcorn
Turn on the instant pot and select SAUTE mode, then adjust to MORE indicator light.
Wait until instant pot indicates HOT. This is roughly take about 4 minutes.
Add clarified butter (or coconut oil) and wait till it melts. Add salt and swirl the pot to spread oil an salt across the pot.
Add a few kernel to test the readiness. Once kernel heat up, they will begin to pop.
Now dump all the popcorn kernels, give a good swirl to coat all the kernels in clarified butter and spread evenly in the pot.
Cover the instant pot with glass lid.
Wait for popcorn kernel to begin popping. Pick the steel pan using kitchen towel for hold and shake rigorously for every 30 seconds.
Pro-Tip: DO NOT lift the entire pot to shake, you will end up scratching the bottom of the pot.
Once you hear popping stop, remove the insert pan from the pot.
Transfer to large bowl immediately.
Add salt and shake well. Or add other flavors that we recommend below.
Flavor options for instant pot popcorn
While the gold old salted popcorn is the best go-to choice of popcorn any day for me, there are times when family calls it ‘boring’. For days when you get bored of salted popcorn, oomph up your popcorn with some flavors.
Certain flavor combinations are simply amazing. Like golden yellow intensely buttery movie popcorn or dark golden brown colored caramel popcorn.
Options to flavor popcorn’s don’t stop there.
We have some more unique and interesting flavors for you guys to try.
- Chili and lime – chili powder (or cayenne powder) along with fresh grated lime zest adds to popcorn a hint of heat and the zing from the zest.
- Sriracha and butter – Melted butter drizzled over popcorn along with sriracha sauce gives you spicy, sticky popcorn. My personal favorite.
- Cinnamon and honey – Imagine a lighter version of caramel popcorn. No this doesn’t resemble anything to caramel popcorn. But the sweetness of the honey and the cinnamon powder for warm and cozy feel reminded me of caramel popcorn for some reason.
Other flavor combinations that you can try are
Garlic Herb – Melted butter, minced garlic, finely chopped fresh rosemary, sage and thyme. Cook them in melted butter and drizzle over popcorn.
Three cheese – 2 portions of cheddar, 1 portion of Parmesan, ½ portion of pecorino. Grate all 2 cheese sprinkle over popcorn spread over baking tray. Bake at 350 F until cheese melts.
Macha dark chocolate – Melt dark chocolate with little coconut oil. Sprinkle macha powder over popcorn, stir well. Drizzle melted chocolate and sprinkle flaky sea salt.
How about trying super festive and addictive Santa crunch Christmas popcorn as well?
You must also try our other favorite Instant Pot recipes –
Don’t forget to Subscribe to CurryTrail Recipes below to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
Instant Pot Popcorn (+ 3 ways to flavor it up)
- 3 tablespoon clarified butter ghee or coconut oil
- ¾ cup popcorn kernels
- 2 teaspoon salt
- Get all the ingredient placed near the pot. Have your glass lid and wooden spatula next to the pot.
- Select SAUTE button and adjust until light is on MORE. Wait till the display indicates HOT.
- Add clarified butter or coconut oil and leave it to melt completely. You want to wait until you see oil sizzle.
- Add salt. Using 2 kitchen towels to prevent your hand from burning, lift up the inner pot and swirl it around making sure to spread and coat the base with oil and salt.
- Start by adding a few popcorn kernels inside the pot and wait until it pops (cover glass lid on top). This might take a few seconds. Popcorn kernels will heat up and then pop.
- When you see couple of them pop, add rest of popcorn kernels. Place the glass lid on top leaving slightly ajar for steam to escape.
- Lift the inner pot and shake briefly once after 30 seconds or so.
- Popcorn will start popping after 3 to 4 minutes. The popping will continue.
- Once the popping slows down, when you can count 3 between pops, remove the inner pot from the cooker and let it sit for 1 or 2 minutes. Un-popped kernels will pop. You want to have ‘almost’ all popcorn kernels to pop.
- Swirl the pop once again. Transfer to serving popcorn tubs and serve immediately as it is as flavor it up as mentioned above.