Crispy oven baked sweet potato fries are healthy alternative to your regular potato fries. Crispy crunchy outside, delicious soft melt-in-your-mouth inside. These baked sweet potato fries are too good to resist! Baked = less/no damage to your waistline. Recipe can be easily doubled and trust me you won’t have any left overs.
Baked perfectly crispy these are delicious and an easy side dish that you can serve with almost any meal not just for burger. When you crave for deep fried chips just bake a batch of these tasty alternative. A super simple recipe to follow, requires minimal most commonly available ingredients from your pantry plus it’s cleaner than regular fries. And serves the purpose – satisfy craving for fries.
I don’t deep fry at home unless it’s a special occasion. So for me it’s baked fries or wedges when I crave for crispy, salty, dippable treat. Serve it with a great dip like roasted bell pepper hummus or tahini. But you can also enjoy it with good old ketchup.
Sweet potatoes fries according to me tastes AAAAAmazing with all the seasoning that goes in. So be liberal with it and go with what your heart wants. You can use plain old spice mix just salt, chili powder, garlic or experiment with zatar spice, peri-peri, cinnamon cayenne spice mix(perfect for fall), the list can go on.
Sweet potato fries baked
- Cut equal-sized strips – Aim for precision cuts for even baking. Knife skills shows here. Each finger should more or less be the same size as the others. I cut my fries about ½ inch thick and long about 6 inch(the length of my potatoes). You can shorten the potato fingers to about 3 inch long too. Too thin fries will crispy up faster and eventually burn out during the baking time.
Pro-tip : use sharp chefs knife for cutting sweet potato fingers. I left the skin on as there are lots of nutrients there and the skin helps to crisp up better.
- Soaking – Potatoes has loads of starch and starch prevents your fries from turning crispy. After cutting fries always soak them in water preferably ice cold bath water for about 30-45 minutes (if you have time soak them for few hours). Soaking draws the excess starch from the potato fingers. This also helps in turning sweet potato fries crispy when baked. After soaking, drain water completely, pat dry on kitchen towel.
- Coating with corn starch – This is the most valuable step. Sweet potato fries needs a little helping to crisp up. A thin layer of corn flour coating aids in crisp up. Once coated with corn flour make sure to shake off all the excess corn starch . Excess coating of corn starch will make your fries not just soggy but predominant taste of corn starch is ickiest
Pro-tip : if you are allergic to corn or corn starch, substitute with allow root powder.
- Spice it up – A little helping of spices makes healthy sweet potato fries tasty. A simple spice mix of garlic, chili powder (because you want to balance out the sweetness of the potatoes a little) and salt works just great! I like my baked sweet potato fries a little spicy, you can adjust the spice levels to your preference.
- No olive oil – oven baked sweet potato fries starts to smoke pretty fast even before the fries are done in the oven if olive oil is used. Soy bean oil, ghee, canola oil, grapeseed oil crisps up the fries better.
- Baking – Bake on high heat, 400 F. Flip the fries half way down the baking time.
Pro-tip : These baked sweet potato fries wont feel completely crisp when it hot.
- Salt at the end – you’ll have to wait to salt the fries until the end. Once baked, transfer to bowl and give it a good shower of fine sea salt.
How long to bake sweet potato fries
Baked sweet potato fries that are crispy on outside and beautiful cooked inside needs to have perfect baking time. Baking time will largely depend on the thickness of your sweet potato fingers and it’s size too. The baking time may vary with the oven too. You’ll need somewhere from 25 minutes to 60 minutes of baking time at 400 F.
Tips on how to make baked sweet potato fries crispy-
Soak cut raw potato fries in ice cold bath for 30 minutes, this removes excess startch from the surface of sweet potatoes after cutting it. Also absorb moisture which leads to outer crispy and soft inside. Remove soaked sweet potatoes on kitchen towel and pat dry
A thin coating of corn starch or potato starch is important.
Dont use olive oil, olive oil starts to smoke pretty fast even before the fries are done in the oven. Ghee, canola oil, grapeseed oil crisps up the fries better.
Don’t overload the cut fries, layer in single layer before baking. Flip the fries half way for even cooking. Turn the baking sheet over and return into oven
Do not add salt before baking. Always add salt to the fries once they come out of the oven.
Once baking time is done, do not remove the fries immediately from the oven. Prop the oven door half open and leave the fries inside the oven for about 10 minutes. As fries cool, they turn ultra crispy!
Other baked goodies that we suggest you to check out –
Try this 5 minutes boom boom sauce as dip for baked sweet potato fries.
Don’t forget to Subscribe to CurryTrail Recipes below to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
WATCH QUICK VIDEO ON HOW TO BAKE CRISPY SWEET POTATO FRIES
- 3 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoon corn starch or arrow root powder
- 3 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup canola oil or ghee or grape seed oil
- Fine sea salt – a big fat pinch
- Scrub sweet potatoes with brush to remove any dirt. Wash well and pat dry. We left the skin on sweet potatoes, but you can peel the skin off if you like it that way. Cut them into ½ inch thick about 3 inch long or 6 inch long fingers.
- Soak in ice cold water for about 45 minutes. This removes excess starch from sweet potatoes. Then drain water, pat dry completely.
- Sprinkle corn starch or arrow root powder. Coat well and evenly. Shake off any excess corn starch coating on the fries.
- Season with chili powder and pour oil. Mix well to get even coating of the seasoning all over the fries.
- Line it up in greased baking tray in a single layer.
Bake in preheated oven at 400 F for about 15 minutes. Remove the tray from oven. Flip all fries once. Rotate the baking tray(for even cooking) and place back into the oven and continue to bake for another 25 minutes.
- Once baking time is done, do not remove the fries immediately from the oven. Prop the oven door half open and leave the fries inside the oven for about 10 minutes. As fries cool, they turn ultra crispy!
- Transfer the fries to a large bowl and toss them with a fat pinch of sea salt.
- Serve baked sweet potato fries with an magnanimous dip.