Thai butternut squash curry also known as Fug-Tong-Gaeng-Dang is fresh tasting, easy to cook mid-week comforting curry. So satisfying and flavorful, your heart would want more on a cold Fall day. It’s creamy, spicy and intensely flavored dish.
I could eat this every single day! Something about a big bowl of curry that is so comforting, so easy to make, I can’t see a reason not to make this curry. It’s simply perfection in a bowl. And by now you all know I’m curry obsessed. Be it Indian curry, Thai curry, any curry – bring it on! This butternut squash curry recipe with a touch of Thai flavors is ready in under 30 minutes. Now isn’t that a reason you wanna skip the take-away food and make your own curry with Thai flavors at home?!
Butternut squash, spinach (rather baby spinach) and coconut milk help create a beautifully creamy, yet healthy curry that pairs well with jasmine rice, normal white rice, brown rice, even quinoa.
Celebrating Fall vegetables like butternut squash with bold Thai flavors with this Thai butternut squash curry. It’s healthy, warm, cozy… everything you’ll look for in a winter meal!
Like any other Thai curry, we are using Red curry paste and curry powder along with fish sauce. If you want vegan butternut squash curry skip the fish sauce.
Why should you make this Thai Butternut Squash Curry at home?
It’s has everything
- Tastes amazing
- Simple recipe
- Easy to make
- 30 minutes or less on the clock
- Healthy and nutritious
- Flavor packed
Thai curries are easy to make if you use the curry paste from the jar. You get the red, yellow and green curry paste in most grocery stores or on amazon. Easy!
LOOKING FOR MORE FALL RECIPES? TRY OUR TOP FAVORITE RECIPES:
Don’t forget to Subscribe to CurryTrail Recipes below to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
WATCH QUICK RECIPE VIDEO ON THAI BUTTERNUT SQUASH CURRY
Thai Butternut Squash Curry
- 1 small butternut squash cubed
- 1 cup tightly packed baby spinach or normal spinach chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or coconut oil
- ¾ cup onions chopped
- 3 tablespoon celery chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoon ginger grated
- 2 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- ¾ cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup thick coconut milk or coconut cream
- Handful Thai basil leaves torn toughly
- Roasted and crushed peanuts
- Roasted cashews
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Lime wedges
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onions and saute until nicely browned.
- Add celery sticks and grated ginger and continue to saute.
- Cook butternut squash cubes in the pan for few minutes before you add the curry paste.
- Add curry paste and curry powder along with little salt to butternut squash (mind you we will be adding fish sauce later so keep in mind to add less salt).
- Mix well until all the curry paste is evenly coated into squash.
- Add vegetable broth and allow squash to cook well.
- Once butternut squash is cooked through, pour coconut milk, add in fish sauce and sugar, stir.
- Add baby spinach (I used normal spinach, chopped into small pieces), mix thoroughly well.
- Tear a few Thai basil leaves and sprinkle it over the curry. That’s it, flavor packed Thai basil curry is ready to be served with hot rice (jasmine, white rice or brown rice). Go ahead and serve it with quinoa too.
“PIN IT” for later