Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Tenders will blow your mind and taste buds. We are talking about super crispy chicken tenders with addictive Parmesan coating to it and they are BAKED!
It tastes just like fried chicken but only baked! Now that’s great news isn’t it, your guilt wont kick in and your waist lines are going to be happy.
You guys, you need this in your life! Perfectly golden brown outer crust, succulent on the inside! A healthy alternative to fried chicken. And we are keeping the flavors of these baked Parmesan chicken tenders just right.
Word of caution – these are super ADDICTIVE! You won’t just get enough of these truly crispy oven baked chicken tenders. The Parmesan Panko bread crumb coating gives that super crispy outer crusts and when it comes to crispy chicken recipe, the outer crispy crust makes it the BEST!
Confession – I can eat all the crust and just the crust. And I’m satisfied. Yes those the best thing in the world, crispy Parmesan crust! And I don’t feel ashamed to stuff my face with this baked chicken appetizer, because this is not going to mess with my waist line.
Serve is just as it is in dip-able finger food with a killer marinara sauce or for your quick and easy weeknight dinner alongside salads, pasta or rice.
Family is happy with the crunchy chicken and me – happy I did not dunk those chicken strips in oil.
Family doesn’t mind baked crispy as long as it’s perfectly golden brown super crunchy crust, just like they’ve been deep fried. I succeed in getting them to like baked chicken as much as deep fried chicken. They don’t fuss at all.
Baked Breaded Chicken Tenders
So how do you achieve perfectly golden brown super crunchy crust in oven?
Panko bread crumbs with finely grated Parmesan cheese is the solution.
We use chicken breasts cut into long strips, it cooks faster, but beware of overcooked rubbery chicken. Read on the tips below to know how to cook crunchy perfectly cooked chicken in oven.
Pro Tip – I came across this tip from recipetineats spread panko bread crumbs on a sheet pan and toast for 3-4 minutes in the oven to get golden brown crumbs. This will give you a perfect golden brown crust on the chicken, that is evenly browned all over the chicken. No more chicken tenders with browned bits her-and-there.
Why Use Panko?
Panko bread crumbs coating results in perfectly crispy crust due to it’s dry, crunchy texture . So if you are baking and you are after perfect golden brown crust Panko is what you should use.
Baked chicken tender recipe calls for Parmesan crusted chicken with panko. The result is the best crispy chicken.
A simple reason why use panko -> Panko stays much crispier than normal bread crumbs.
Can I Use Any Other Cheese?
Yes of course you can use other cheese. I encourage you use Parmesan. The dry texture, the taste of Parmesan cheese works best for coating the chicken.
Other cheese that you can use-
Freshly grated extra sharp yellow Cheddar cheese
The texture and taste of other cheese go well for crusting the chicken pieces or breasts!
How Long To Bake Chicken Tenders?
To get irresistible crunchy baked chicken that has beautiful brown outer crust and succulent, juicy inside, the right temperature and time is important to know.
Follow these guidelines to a perfectly baked chicken.
- Baking temperature is 350 F for 25 to 30 minutes turning it once half way to ensure golden crunchy crust on both sides on the chicken. This is USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) approved guidelines to how to bake chicken in oven.
- Pro Tip – Because ovens have slight heat differences and chicken pieces may be larger or smaller, it’s important to-
- Keep an eye on your chicken to make sure it’s baked to perfection (no raw pink meat inside, no over cooking chicken to rubbery textures!)
- You see, I hate cutting the meat in between the bake just to check if it’s cooked to perfection. I hate it more to serve under-cooked, raw chicken. When the promise is to serve chicken fingers, I serve chicken fingers and not small cut pieces of chicken.
How To Tell Chicken Tenders Are Baked To Perfection?
No thermometer check – Using a fork press the thickest part of the meat and slightly twist. If clear juice runs and your color of the meat is no more pink chicken fingers are cooked to perfection.
You shall notice the size of the chicken tenders shrink in size after baking. This indicates the inside of the chicken in cooked.
With meat thermometer – use thermometer to check you’ve achieved 165 F by inserting it into the thickest part of the breast/strips. Close to wont work in this case, we want it to be exactly 165 F. In case of close to, make sure to put chicken back into the oven until it reaches the threshold.
Baked Parmesan Crusted Chicken Recipe:
- Chicken tenderloins (or chicken breast cut into thin strips/fingers)
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil (for spraying)
For coating –
- Panko crumbs
- Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Salt and pepper
Cut – You can use chicken tenderloins , but I’m all game for budget friendly food, chicken breasts cut into strips made up for it.
Mix – Mix all the wet and dry coating ingredients in separate bowls or shallow plate.
Dip – Dip chicken strips in batter, left with right hand and place it in bread crumbs, use your left hand while working with dry coating. Sprinkle enough bread crumb coating on both sides and press tightly to ensure chicken is coated well.
Place on wired messed lined above a sheet pan.
Bake – Preheat oven to 350 F, bake for 18 to 20 minutes turning it once mid way during the bake time.
Serve – serve as a dip-able finger food along with dipping sauce like marinara sauce, ranch, or honey mustard dip. It’s great to be served along with Caesar’s salad or any salad), pasta or rice for your quick weeknight dinner.
MORE CHICKEN RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE TO TRY –
Ultimate Southern Fried Chicken
More Oven Baked Recipes you should try-
Don’t forget to Subscribe to CurryTrail Recipes below to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
LOVE THIS RECIPE? KEEP IN TOUCH AND DON’T MISS OUT ON ANY OF CURRYTRAIL RECIPES! FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, TWITTER.
HAVE YOU TRIED ONE OF MY RECIPES? I’D LOVE TO SEE WHAT YOU’VE MADE! TAKE A PICTURE AND USE THE HASHTAG #CURRYTRAIL ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE! I’LL DO A HAPPY DANCE IF YOU TRY MY RECIPE AND SHARE IT WITH US!
Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Tenders
- 2 large chicken breast cut into thin strips/fingers
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for spraying
For coating –
- ⅔ cup Panko crumbs
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese finely grated
- 1 ½ tablespoon flour
- 1 Egg
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder or fresh minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Toast panko bread crumbs in oven for 4 minutes by spreading it on a lightly greased baking tray. Once the crumbs begin to turn golden brown remove it and let it cool completely.
- Scrape toasted panko into a large bowl or wide bowl. Mix grated Parmesan and little flour to it. Mix well.
- Into another wide bowl break an egg, add mayo, salt, pepper and garlic. Mix into lump free coating.
- Make a butterfly cut on chicken breasts but separating into two pieces. Cut thin strips or fingers out of each piece.
- Dip chicken strips in batter, left with right hand and place it in bread crumbs, use your left hand while working with dry coating. Sprinkle enough bread crumb coating on both sides and press tightly to ensure chicken is coated well. Lift and place on wired messed lined above a sheet pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 F, bake for 18 to 20 minutes turning it once mid way during the bake time.
- Serve as a dip-able finger food along with dipping sauce like marinara sauce, ranch, or honey mustard dip. It’s great to be served along with creaser’s salad or any salad), pasta or rice for your quick weeknight dinner.
- Every oven have slight heat differences and chicken pieces used may be larger or smaller, it’s important to- Keep an eye on your chicken to make sure it’s baked to perfection (no raw pink meat inside, no over cooking chicken to rubbery textures!)
- Regular breadcrumbs will not give you crispier golden outer. Use only panko bread crumbs. Roasting panko breadcrumbs in oven before crusting it over chicken pieces helps with even browning all over the chicken - an useful tip I learnt from recipetineats.
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese is best. If you want to substitute Parmesan cheese - use either freshly grated extra sharp yellow Cheddar cheese or Asiago cheese.
Comments & Reviews
Oh My Goodness! I made these and they are absolutely the best chicken tenders I have ever had!! I totally do NOT miss the oil! AND you are so right! They are addictive! We have made them 5 times I think in the past 15 days! These are definitely a new family FAVE! Thanks sooo much!
Jyothi Rajesh says
Becky i’m so glad to hear you’ll loved the recipe. Thank you so much for sharing it here!
Delicious. I’ve never thought of baking the panco. bread crumbs first. Great idea. I will do that from now on. Turned out great.
Thank you Donna. SO glad to hear you loved the recipe
These chicken tenders look incredible. I love the addition of parmesan cheese. I bet my kiddo would love this. Can’t wait to make him this.
Thank you Natalie
Uma Srinivas says
Baked is a lot healthier than fried. Your recipe looks easier and neat. Pictures are awesome!
Thank you Uma
Cheese Curd In Paradise says
I love the Parmesan coating, and the addition of the mayo in the wet coating is so delicious. The chicken is so tender! My kiddos love this recipe.
It was absolutely tender and so delicious!
Mahy Elamin says
Chicken tenders are a favorite here! But your version with the Parmesan cheese will take the crown!! I will make this asap for my kids!!
I can’t believe how delicious these chicken tenders look. No wonder they are called “tenders”! 🙂 And the coating you’ve come up with is perfect – I can’t wait to make these for dinner next week!
Thank you Danielle
These have my mouth watering! Love that you added Parmesan cheese to these .. adds such a great flavor. These look so crispy and easy to make. Perfect dinner or snack any day of the week
Thank you Heather
Chicken tenders looks really crispy with panko bread crumbs, homemade chicken tenders are always best
Thank you Swati
Marisa Franca says
Oh, I can almost smell the delicious panko-coated chicken. We use LOTS of panko crumbs. You just can’t beat them for the crunch. We also use panko when we fry. It gives the best taste. Oven-baked is a good alternative for chicken tenders.
Veena Azmanov says
My kids love these. I often make these for their sandwiches and they freeze so well too. Love that you added Parmesan – works so well with this. Next time I’m gonna try this recipe. Looks yum.
Claudia Lamascolo says
I really love the idea these are oven baked and chicken tenders are my grandsons favorite I must make these for him soon.
I LOVE panko coated chicken. The coating on your chicken looks perfect. I’ve made one similar but my coating didn’t turn out as perfectly as yours.
Oven baked crispy chicken is so good. I do not like “fried” foods….except for calamari (only when it is done right). I know my grandkids would love this for dinner the next time they are over.
Adriana Lopez Martin says
Nothing like good crispy homemade chicken tenders, love this recipe so much I will surprise my grandson making this for him next week. You pics are mouthwatering too.
Love that this is baked and with Parmesan it it… can’t wait to try this. I know the kids will be jumping up and down…Thanks!