Salty sweet and refreshing watermelon feta salad is what you should be serving for every backyard BBQ party or picnic. Cubes of watermelon tossed with fresh basil leaves and crumbled feta is perfect summer salad. Watermelon and feta salad is colorful, healthy and easy to make.
What Goes In The Salad?
My favorite thing about summer time is having lots and lots of salad varieties and enjoying them all. Watermelon is probably my favorite summer fruit and I eat it everyday. Eat it plain, or in salads, it’s SO GOOD!
If you never thought of adding cheese to watermelon until now, and probably think NO it won’t work, wait until you try this watermelon salad. It’s one of the refreshing summer salads you’ll make and one of the tasty salad too.
If you are someone who never tried watermelon salad until now, do give it a try. It’s sure to refresh and sure to impress. Nothing fancy needed to make watermelon and feta salad. You’ll only need sweet and refreshing watermelon, good quality feta cheese (don’t buy pre-crumbled feta cheese, please!) and fresh basil leaves as main ingredients.
Season! Always season your dishes, even if it is a simple salad like watermelon salad. Flavors and seasonings are most important to make a dish stand out. Especially if it’s a salad!
Olive oil, lime juice, salt and fresh ground pepper takes a simple watermelon salad to a whole new level. Watermelon tastes GREAT as it is, but did you know a hint of salt and lime juice to watermelon makes the fruit taste – AMAZING!
Until a few years back I never thought of mixing feta with watermelon! Then once I started blogging and exploring a little bit at a time into this culinary journey, I came across this fresh, light watermelon and feta salad. Watermelon and feta are so good with each other, who knew!
I can see how this combination watermelon feta salad is good. The saltiness of the feta brings out the sweet taste of watermelon. Combined with fresh basil or even mint leaves make it refreshingly good! Tear a few mint leave and/or fresh basil leaves. Fresh herbs in this watermelon feta salad really lights up the flavor of watermelon. Dress up watermelon feta salad with a tiny drizzle of balsamic vinegar reduction. I enjoyed plain watermelon feta salad.
If you are looking for cool refreshing healthy fuss free salad recipe then this watermelon salad with feta is all you need. The contrast of sweet and salty is amazing. I am not a fan of sweet, fruity salads, especially those which are loaded with cream or mayo. But this unique flavored salad was a big hit the first time I tried. Like us you may also truly appreciate this salad.
I can serve this watermelon mint feta salad over a bed of arugula and a tiny drizzle of balsamic vinegar reduction. A great way to use all the garden fresh herbs that are bountiful during summer.
Tips To Make BEST Watermelon Feta Salad
- Use seedless watermelon. It makes eating easy. You don’t have to worry about removing seeds while cutting the fruit (which by the way is a tedious job). Not a pleasant experience biting into a seed while eating your salad.
- Always use chilled watermelon for watermelon and feta salad.
- Try to find goat or sheep’s milk feta that are available in big blocks or chunks. Block feta is so much better than crumbled feta.
- You can easily swap fresh basil with fresh mint in this salad.
- Watermelon and feta salad is best when served chilled. It’s a great make ahead salad, but don’t let the salad sit in fridge for many hours. Make it just an hour or two before serving.
- And don’t miss out the simple dressing. Dressing for watermelon feta salad is made of good quality olive oil, lime juice, salt and ground pepper.
Other summer favorites that we believe you’ll love –
Don’t forget to Subscribe to CurryTrail Recipes below to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
HAVE YOU TRIED ONE OF MY RECIPES? I’D LOVE TO SEE WHAT YOU’VE MADE! TAKE A PICTURE AND USE THE HASHTAG #CURRYTRAIL ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE! I’LL DO A HAPPY DANCE IF YOU TRY MY RECIPE AND SHARE IT WITH US!
Refreshing Watermelon Feta Salad
- 3 lb watermelon seedless, chilled
- 8 oz FETA cheese crumbled – sheep’s milk feta
- 3/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lime juice
- Salt to taste I added about 1 ½ teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Cut out rind from watermelon. Chop the fruit into 1 inch cubes. Seedless watermelon works best for this salad. If you cannot find seedless watermelon, buy watermelon with seeds and while cutting them into cubes, remove the seeds from it. Remember this is going to be tedious job – removing seeds from watermelon.
- In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, lime juice extracted from fresh lime, salt, pepper. This is the dressing for the salad.
- In a large bowl combine watermelon cubes, crumbled feta and basil leaves. Toss gently until ingredients are combined well. Transfer to serving bowl. Sprinkle few basil leaves on top.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad. Stir gently to integrate the cheese, dressing into the salad.
- Serve chilled.