Homemade roasted tomato basil soup is healthy, full of flavors and very easy to make. It’s packed with fresh herb flavors from basil. Put fresh garden tomatoes and herbs to best use with this soup.
Roasted tomato basil soup recipe
1. Best way to use up all the summer garden produce is turn it into delicious soup!
2. This soup is thick, creamy without the addition of cream or any diary products. Herb-filled roasted tomato soup is so light, fresh and full of nutrients.
3. By roasting fresh garden tomatoes, onion and garlic give this soup a extra depth of flavor. Packed with fresh basil leaves this soup has incredible rich flavors, fresh and so light!
4. This soup for me is celebration of almost end of summer, arrival of autumn season.
5. Fleshy ripe tomatoes like Roma tomatoes works great for this soup. But you can always mix in cherry tomatoes from your garden(or farmers market) along with Roma tomatoes.
Ingredients you’ll need
Here’s what you’ll need for roasted tomato basil soup
- Garden fresh tomatoes (heirloom or roma tomatoes)
- Loads of fresh basil leaves
- Olive oil
- Salt and ground pepper
How to make roasted tomatoes basil soup
Arrange chopped ingredients in one layer on a baking tray. Drizzle olive oil. Season with salt and ground pepper.
Don’t bother chopping the ingredients fine. Roughly chop tomatoes, white onions and celery.
Roast in oven at 400 F for about 30 to 45 minutes. Time taken to roast entirely depends on the size of tomatoes you chop and the quantity of ingredients on the tray.
Do not over load the baking tray with ingredients and make sure they are in one single layer for even roasting.
Blitz the roasted ingredients. You can go as smooth or keep is chunky coarse depending on how you like to have your soup.
Add fresh basil leaves and blitz again. The amount of basil leaves in the soup is totally up to you. I love basil but too much basil is not my thing.
I find over powered basil flavor to be unpleasant. Go with your taste buds preference and add as much basil as you like.
We served the soup with grilled garlic bread and grilled cheese bread (for the kids).
Store in air tight container in refrigerator for about 1 week.
Tomato basil soup is best served with homemade croutons or any crusty bread or grilled cheese sandwich.
I wouldn’t recommend you to skip roasting.
Roasting tomatoes along with garlic, onion, celery brings out the flavors of the veggies. Tomatoes once roasted turns much sweeter and adds a rich tomato flavor to the soup.
Roasting essentially adds rich taste and incredible flavors to the soup.
Looking for more inspiration to use up garden fresh tomatoes? Check these out-
OTHER FAVORITE SOUPS:
Don’t forget to Subscribe to CurryTrail Recipes below to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
HAVE YOU TRIED ONE OF MY RECIPES? I’D LOVE TO SEE WHAT YOU’VE MADE! TAKE A PICTURE AND USE THE HASHTAG #CURRYTRAIL ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE! I’LL DO A HAPPY DANCE IF YOU TRY MY RECIPE AND SHARE IT WITH US!
📋Homemade Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- 3 pounds ripe roma tomatoes sliced lengthwise or halved
- 2 small white onions roughly chopped
- 10 garlic pods
- ½ cup celery stalk chopped
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves roughly torn
- Garlic croutons
- or crusty bread
- or grilled cheese sandwich
- Pre-heat oven at 400 F | 200 C. Grease baking tray with olive oil. Arrange sliced tomatoes, roughly chopped white onions, garlic, celery stick on baking tray.
- Drizzle olive oil. Sprinkle salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Bake in oven at 400 F | 200 C for 40-45 minutes.
- Once vegetable are done roasting, remove from oven and allow them to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add them to high power blender and blend.Blend at low speed first then slowly increase the speed. The heat of the soup can cause soup to explode if you blend at high speed.
- Blend soup according to the way you like it, smooth or coarse and chunky.Transfer soup into large saucepan. Simmer it for 10-15 minutes. If soup is too thick, thin it by adding little vegetable stock.
- Taste test and adjust seasoning accordingly.Allow tomato basil soup to simmer for 7 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Pour soup into serving bowls. Garnish with little more chopped basil leaves. Shave few Parmesan cheese on top.Serve hot with croutons on top of the soup.
- I roasted all ingredients together at a time in oven. Alternatively you can roast just tomatoes, garlic in oven and roast onions separately on stove top or if you have left-over caramelized onions stored. This method will give you perfectly caramelized onions to make rich soup.
- I don’t usually strain my soup, as I don’t mind it chunky. Feel free to run the soup through a fine mesh strainer, you’ll have perfectly smooth tomato soup.