Earthy, nutty flavors from tahini and sesame seeds are the highlight of these healthy tahini cookies. These cookies are gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and low fat too.
It’s got a nice crunch to it. The natural bitterness of tahini mellowed out by honey and almond flour making these cookies crispy, crunchy on the outside and soft chewy inside.
If you thought tahini can be used only to make hummus, and salad dressings, wait until you try Tahini cookies! These cookies are amazing! If you are looking for something different from sweet, buttery cookies, tahini cookies will make a pleasant entry into your list of must-make cookies.
It’s easy to customize these unique cookies. You can make these cookies rich by adding a few tablespoons of butter or make them decadent by sneaking in some choco chips or choco chunks or make it completely vegan without adding eggs.
Tahini is a super food which is rich in nutrients and vitamins. You don’t have to buy a big jar of tahini from super market. It’s so easy to make at home. Check here to find out how you can make tahini at home.
These cookies don’t flatten while baking. I found if you don’t flatten these cookies before baking, they turn out chunky and fat. Which isn’t an issue! But if you want evenly baked cookies, flatten the cookies with a palm or a flat-bottomed bowl before baking.
Ingredients for tahini cookies
Simple ingredients list –
- Honey or maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Almond meal
- Baking Soda
- Generous pinch of salt
- Toasted sesame seeds for coating
How to make tahini cookies
- In a bowl mix almond flour, baking soda, and a pinch of salt and set it aside.
- In another bowl add tahini, honey, vanilla extract, and one egg.
- Beat with an electric beater until well combined.
- Add dry ingredient and beat until combined.
- Turn off the beater, scrape the sides of the bowl and beat again until everything comes together.
6. Using a cookie scooper scoop a portion of the cookie mix. Roll it into ball shapes.
7. Coat it in the sesame seed mix.
8. Place it on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and greased with butter.
9. Using a flat bottom bowl, flatten the cookie on the baking sheet.
10. Now bake it in preheated oven at 355 F for about 8 minutes or until you see cookies turning golden brown.
11. Remove from oven, and let it sit on the baking tray for 5 minutes.
12. Then carefully transfer cookies to a wire rack and let them cool completely.
Store in airtight containers for about 10 days.
Tips & tricks to make the best cookies
- Before baking flattens the cookies with a palm or a flat-bottomed bowl. Since there is no butter added the cookies will not flatten during cooking.
- You can make these cookies rich by adding a few tablespoons of butter or make them decadent by sneaking in some choco chips or choco chunks or make it completely vegan without adding eggs.
The egg acts as a binder in this recipe. Almond meal has no gluten and without a binder, the ingredient mixture would be too difficult to mold into the final shape. They kept crumbling.
Vegan option, replace the egg with flax eggs. To make flax egg – 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons warm water, whisk together and set aside for 15 minutes.
Gluten-free (GF) options – almond flour, walnut flour, cashew flour
With gluten – unbleached all-purpose flour, wheat flour
Add-ons for tahini cookies
The cookies are perfect as it is. With sweet caramelized crunchy outer and chewy inside, these cookies don’t need anything more.
But you can always make it more decadent by adding or stuffing some choco chunks or choco chips in the cookie mixture.
A piece of dates on top.
Or sprinkle crumbled pistachios as well.
Sprinkle POM (Pomegranate seeds) over the cookies before baking.
These above mentioned add-ons are just optional.
MORE RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE
- No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Ritz Cookies
- Ranger Cookies
- No-Bake Haystack Cookies
- Santa Munch Christmas Popcorn
- Christmas Rum Balls
- S’mores Puppy Chow
- No-Bake OREO Truffles
- No-Bake Christmas Wreath Cookies
- Christmas Crack
- Pretzel Hershey Kisses
Don’t forget to Subscribe to CurryTrail Recipes below to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
HAVE YOU TRIED ONE OF MY RECIPES? I’D LOVE TO SEE WHAT YOU’VE MADE! TAKE A PICTURE AND USE THE HASHTAG #CURRYTRAIL ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE! I’LL DO A HAPPY DANCE IF YOU TRY MY RECIPE AND SHARE IT WITH US!
📋Healthy Tahini Cookies
- 1 ¼ cup almond flour plus extra to adjust cookie batter consistency
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- One generous pinch salt
- ½ cup tahini
- 1 cup raw honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ½ cup white+black sesame seeds for coating tossed
- In a bowl mix almond flour, baking soda, pinch of salt and set it aside.
- In another bowl add tahini, honey, vanilla extract, and one egg. Beat with an electric beater until well combined.
- Now add in dry flour ingredient and beat until combined. Turn off the beater, scrape the sides of the bowl, and beat again until everything comes together.
- Using a cookie scooper scoop a portion of the cookie mix. Roll it into ball shapes.
- Coat it in the sesame seed mix.
- Place it on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Using a flat bottom bowl, flatten the cookie on the baking sheet.
- Bake it in preheated oven at 355 F for about 8 minutes or until you see the cookies turning golden brown.
- Remove from oven, and let it rest on the baking tray for 5 minutes.
- Carefully transfer cookies to a wire rack and let them cool completely.
- Store in air tight containers for about 10 days.