Drink a glass of golden milk before sleep or when you are feeling under the weather. Not only does it soothe you, it has so many health benefits and is super TASTY to drink.
Need a immunity boost? Drink turmeric golden milk!
Recipe originally posted in Jan 2017, updated in Mar 2019
What is golden milk or golden latte?
1. Golden milk also known as turmeric milk is ancient to India.
2. This golden bright yellow colored beverage have great health benefits. It’s anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties helps prevent your body from infections. That’s why you should be drinking this beverage all year long, not just when infection (cold, cough, sore throat) kicks in.
3. Need to boost immunity or comfort yourself when you are feeling under the weather this turmeric golden milk or turmeric latte is all you need!
4. Soothing warm spices used to make turmeric paste are black pepper, ginger and cinnamon. The warmth in the spices gives itchy/irritating throat soothing effect and helps you sleep better in the night when you are struggling with cold and cough.
You really don’t need a recipe for this, because it’s simply a mix of turmeric powder, fresh grated ginger, pepper and cinnamon powder all milk into warm milk sweetened with honey. But in case you want to know golden milk recipe, read the post (or simply click on “JUMP TO RECIPE” button on the top)
In this recipe, I used turmeric paste. Turmeric powder or fresh turmeric root, can also be used. Make sure you use the best organic turmeric powder to make golden latte.
Golden milk healthy benefits
- Turmeric golden milk made with turmeric paste is go-to remedy to fight cold, cough or flu. Turmeric has medicinal properties of decreasing mucus and supporting immune system. A glass of warm turmeric milk in the night will promote relief sleep.
- Research says people suffering from asthma, chronic sinus infections get relief with a glass of turmeric milk. It’s believed to reduce the changes of lung cancer.
- Curcumin (one of the main constituents of turmeric) is believed to prevent and treat cancer including prostate, breast, skin, liver, stomach, duodenum and colon cancer.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric can help reduce pain and fever. It’s also popular for it’s antioxidant, antibacterial, anti-carcinogenic properties and it’s used to treat conditions like bronchitis, laryngitis, diabetes and arthritis.
- While you can make golden milk is with just turmeric, to make even better I always add other healing medicinal spices. Black pepper helps our body absorb the curcumin in turmeric. Body cannot effectively utilize curcumin compound on it’s own, adding black pepper to turmeric paste increase the bio availability of curcumin in our body.
- Including turmeric in food helps. Use good quality organic turmeric to enhance the flavors of your meal thus enriching it. Widely used in curries and meat dishes.
- Make a jar of turmeric paste and store in fridge for up-to 3 months or freeze it for longer. Having a jar of golden turmeric paste in fridge only means, you can have plenty cups of golden turmeric milk or use it in curries whenever you want it.
Ingredients you’ll need
First we made turmeric paste.
For turmeric paste-
- Organic turmeric powder
- Virgin coconut oil
- Black pepper
- Fresh ginger
- Cinnamon powder
For golden milk-
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric paste
- 1 cup of hot milk (any milk of your choice. Use almond milk to make it vegan)
- 2 teaspoon organic honey (vegans use agave nectar or maple syrup, coconut sugar)
How to make golden milk (with step-by-step pictorial)
Start with turmeric paste.
Step 1 – Add turmeric paste into serving cup. If not using turmeric paste, use turmeric powder directly.
Step 2- Pour hot milk.
Step 3 – Add honey per taste. To make it vegan use coconut sugar or maple syrup.
Stir and drink immediately.
MORE SOOTHING DRINKS TO TRY
Don’t forget to Subscribe to CurryTrail Recipes below to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
HAVE YOU TRIED ONE OF MY RECIPES? I’D LOVE TO SEE WHAT YOU’VE MADE! TAKE A PICTURE AND USE THE HASHTAG #CURRYTRAIL ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE! I’LL DO A HAPPY DANCE IF YOU TRY MY RECIPE AND SHARE IT WITH US!
📋Anti-Inflammatory Golden Milk
- 1 tablespoon turmeric paste
- 1 cup milk of you choice
- 2 teaspoon organic honey
- Heat up milk in a sauce pan. Once milk turns hot remove it from heat.
- Add turmeric paste into a cup.
- Pour hot milk.
- Add honey as per taste into the cup, Best use organic honey.
- Stir and drink immediately.
- If you prefer you can top it with dried rose petals, or a pinch of turmeric powder or even chopped nuts like walnuts or almonds.
- You can make this drink vegan by using coconut milk and coconut sugar.
- Adjust the amount of sweetener you want to use according to your liking.
- Drink it before bedtime, helps you sleep like a baby!