Learn how easy it’s to make golden turmeric paste that offers so many health benefits and can be used in so many ways beyond golden turmeric latte.
This bright golden paste recipe has so many healing properties and is so much better and cheaper to make your own paste at home.
In India, turmeric has been used for thousands of years in many ways for its healing properties. It’s used extensively in cooking, talk about day to day curries – turmeric is a key ingredients, in world famous golden turmeric milk or the world calls it turmeric latte which is used to heal sore throat or congestion, used in teas and to whip up your smoothies, as a face pack, and so many more ways turmeric finds its use.
Turmeric is great in food, but this healing spice is even more effective when combined with other ingredients that’ll promote all around health.
This ancient healing spice is a staple in most kitchens. Apart from its anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric is also used for skin rejuvenation.
One of the most immediate medicine mom used to give us when we were down under the weather was this turmeric milk. Turmeric powder mixed in hot milk, and a dash of pepper powder along with ginger and honey is the immediate medicine that was given to us.
So having a bottle of homemade turmeric paste in hand, so you could simply stir it with hot milk and consume has become one of the tradition in my family.
Why Should You Make Turmeric Golden Paste (Turmeric Paste Health Benefits)
Not one or two but there are plenty of reason why you should make turmeric paste at home and consume it on regular basis –
1. Turmeric milk or golden milk made with turmeric paste is go-to remedy when one is figting cold, cough or flu. Turmeric has a wonderful property of decreasing mucus and supporting immune system. A glass of warm turmeric milk in the night will promote healthy and relief sleep.
2. Research says people suffering from asthma, chronic sinus infections get relief with a glass of turmeric milk. It’s believed to reduce the changes of lung cancer.
3. Curcumin (one of the main constituents of turmeric) is believed to prevent and treat cancer including prostate, breast, skin, liver, stomach, duodenum and colon cancer.
4. The anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric can help reduce pain and fever. It’s also popular for it’s antioxidant, antibacterial, anti-carcinogenic properties and it’s used to treat conditions like bronchitis, laryngitis, diabetes and arthritis.
5. Turmeric paste is not made with just turmeric, it’s got other supportive natural ingredients (which by the way you shouldn’t leave out) thus enhancing it’s natural properties. Black pepper that is added to golden paste recipe helps our body absorb the curcumin in turmeric. Curcumin is the main constituent of turmeric which gives it bright vibrant color. Our body cannot effectively utilize curcumin compound on it’s own, adding black pepper to turmeric paste increase the bio availability of curcumin in our body.
6. One of the best and most popular ways to intake turmeric is through food. Use good quality organic turmeric to enhance the flavors of your meal thus enriching it. Widely used in curries and meat dishes. It’s believed turmeric can hide strong flavors like in meat dishes.
7. Make a jar of turmeric paste and store in fridge for upto 3 months or freeze it for longer. Having a jar of golden turmeric paste in fridge only means, you can have plenty cups of golden turmeric milk or use it in curries whenever you want it.
Why Shouldn’t You Leave Out Black Pepper
Curcumin is the active compound in turmeric which is responsible for it’s bright yellow color, it’s that main constituent of turmeric which makes this magical spice powerful and healthy. But the body cannot absorb and utilize this essential active compound on it’s own. Before even the body could absorb curcumin, it gets metabolized.
The piperine(the heat compound of black pepper) boosts the bio availability of curcumin, making the body absorb it, by slowing the liver from removing curcumin from the blood. Thus black pepper increases curcumin’s absorption by 2000%. Amazing!
What Goes In Turmeric Paste Recipe (Turmeric Paste Ingredients)
Organic Turmeric Powder – Or you could also use fresh turmeric if available to you.
Unrefined Virgin Coconut Oil – Or ghee(clarified butter) many Ayurveda remedies calls for ghee instead of coconut oil. Coconut oil will keep it from spoiling sooner.
Note – some people can’t tolerate coconut oil for some reason and they get diarrhea. If your tummy feels funny with coconut oil I’d recommend you use ghee instead of coconut oil. Ghee is clarified butter, which can be easily found in Indian stores or can even be made at home. I DON’T recommend olive oil or vegetable oil purely for reasons stated as Ayurveda benefits.
Black Pepper – very important ingredient and should not be left out.
Note – of making paste for face mask, then you may want to leave it out.
How To Make Turmeric Paste
It’s very easy to make golden turmeric paste at home. All you need is few basic, simple, staple ingredients and a sauce pan to whip up a batch of fresh homemade turmeric paste.
Pro-Tip : Make sure you use best quality organic ingredients to make golden paste.
To get started, simply mix organic turmeric powder or fresh grated turmeric (peel the outer brown skin off and grate the yellow flesh) in water.
Heat it in sauce pan over very low heat for about 6 to 8 minutes with constant stirring.
Note – Keep stirring all the time. Since the paste is thick there are chances it’ll skin to the pan at the bottom and burn.
Also note, as it cooks the paste will turn thicker and thicker. The consistency of the paste is entirely up to you. You can make it thicker or slightly thinner, make adjustments depending on how you want to use it.
If you need slightly thin consistency, add little more water and cook for 5 minutes and if the paste if thickened, thin it with little more water.
Once turmeric is cooked and turned into thick paste, turn off heat and stir in rest of the ingredients – virgin coconut oil, black pepper (crushed fresh and fine consistency), cinnamon powder and fresh grated ginger.
Mix well. Keep stirring until coconut oil is fully melted. Allow it to cool.
Transfer to air tight glass containers.
Cover with lid and store in fridge for up to 3 week. You can freeze it in individual freezer molds and store in freezer for longer.
How To Use Turmeric Paste (Turmeric Paste Uses)
Make turmeric paste easily at home and enjoy the benefits. A jar of golden paste made ahead of time, stored in fridge can be used it in so many incredible ways.
Golden Milk(turmeric paste for golden milk) –
One of the ways to enjoy the benefits of turmeric is to consume it in food. Turmeric paste finds direct use in making golden milk. Simply stir in 3 teaspoon of turmeric paste in warm milk. Add honey for sweetener and drink it.
In Cooking –
This ancient magical spice has been in many kitchen for 100’s and 1000’s of years. And it’s been liberally used in cooking many dishes.
It can be used in curries, as base in broth in soups, in meaty dishes (turmeric is believed to hide the strong flavor of meat in your meal) in baking like muffins, cake, used in smoothies (just freeze turmeric paste and use it in smoothies while blending), in your teas, it can be used with rice.
It can be used to make salad dressing – just mix few teaspoons of the paste with olive oil and orange juice for tasty and healthy salad dressing.
In Mock tail –
Think of cocktail recipes using pineapple, peaches, blood orange, ginger and papaya. Just add a teaspoon (or less as preferred) turmeric paste to your mock tail mix and enjoy the benefits.
For Skin Rejuvenation (turmeric paste for skin) –
Turmeric not just improves skin complexion, it also helps reduce acne, eczema, psoriasis thus providing a wide range of skin care health.
For ages my mom has been doing a thick face mask with organic turmeric powder mixed with Greek yogurt. This face mask is applied on the skin. After 15 minutes what you get is fresh, rejuvenated skin. But be warned – your face or other application areas might have faint yellow tinge to the skin, which by the way fades off after a couple of washes.
If you do not want yellow tinge on your skin, experiment with the amount of turmeric powder you add to yogurt. I usually do – 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder to 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt.
NOTE – if making a paste for skin use, please use the following ratio and ingredients –
¼ teaspoon organic turmeric powder
1 tablespoon Greek Yogurt
You don’t want to have spices black pepper and ginger added to the recipe if using for face mask or skin care.
DON’T MISS OUT OUR OTHER BEST HOMEMADE REMEDY RECIPES THAT WILL HELP YOU –
Don’t forget to Subscribe to CurryTrail Recipes below to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE TURMERIC PASTE RECIPE – QUICK VIDEO
Click play to watch video or you can scroll down to recipe card if you want written recipe.
- ½ cup organic turmeric powder
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup unrefined virgin coconut oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 ¾ teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- Mix organic turmeric powder or fresh grated turmeric (peel the outer brown skin off and grate the yellow flesh) in water. Heat it in sauce pan over very low heat for about 6 to 8 minutes with constant stirring.
- Note – Keep stirring all the time. Since the paste is thick there are chances it’ll skin to the pan at the bottom and burn.
- Also note, as it cooks the paste will turn thicker and thicker. The consistency of the paste is entirely upto you. You can make it thicker or slightly thinner, make adjustments depending on how you want to use it.
- If you need slightly thin consistency, add little more water and cook for 5 minutes and if the paste if thickened, thin it with little more water.
- Once turmeric is cooked and turned into thick paste, turn off heat and stir in rest of the ingredients – virgin coconut oil, black pepper (crushed fresh and fine consistency), cinnamon powder and fresh grated ginger. Mix well.
- Allow it to cool.
Transfer to air tight glass containers. Cover with lid and store in fridge for up to 3 week. You can freeze it in individual freezer molds and store in freezer for longer.
“PIN IT” TO YOUR HOMEMADE REMEDY BOARD