Very simple, flavor packed rice for your quick lunch/dinner. Takes under 30 minutes to get it ready! For your daily dose of carbs try this South Indian style tomato rice.
Busy mid week dinner or lazy weekend lunch, be it any day of the week tomato rice will come in handy when you have a craving for flavorsome rice. With easy steps to follow and most common ingredients from any Indian pantry you can make this rice in under 30 minutes. You can even substitute the spice powders with madras style sambar/curry powder. It tastes delicious either ways.
When you try it you will agree. Tomato rice is wholesome meal in itself. Paired with cooling onion-yogurt mix(raita) it’s a perfect balance of spice, tangy and slight sweetness from the yogurt.
3 medium sized tomatoes blanched, skin peeled and pureed
2 large onions
2 tomatoes, chopped
3 large green chillies slit in the center
1 1/2 cup rice(Basmati or kolam rice or other variety rice), cooked
1 tbspn ginger-garlic paste
2 tspn red chilli powder
1 tspn coriander powder
1/4 tspn turmeric powder
1/2 cup green peas
1 star anise
1 small bay leaf
Salt to taste
3 tablespoon coriander, mint leaves
2-3 tbspn of oil
1. In a pan add oil and allow to heat. Once oil is hot add the whole spices mentioned above. Next add onions and green chillies and saute till onions turn translucent.
2. Ginger-garlic paste goes in and saute till raw smell of the paste is gone.
3. Add chopped tomatoes,cook until tomatoes are mushy. In goes the blanched tomato puree and cook until you see oil seperating from the edges of the pan.
4. Green peas goes in and cook for a minute.
5. Add red chilli powder, turmeric, coriander powder, salt cook for a minute.
6. Put chopped coriander and mint leaves and cook until fragrant.
7. Reduce heat to low, add cooked rice and mix gently until all rice is coated in masala well.
6. Add a little hot water about 2 to 3 teaspoon. Cover the pan with lid and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Yummy tangy tomato rice bath is ready. Serve hot with any onion raita or just as it is.
Looking for more rice recipes?
Check these out-