Beautifully caramelized/charred crispy edges on these roasted cabbage steaks is going to blow your mind away! Thick cabbage slices rubbed with flavorful garlic-onion-paprika spice rub and roasted to perfection in the oven makes it a great side dish with any meal.
What’s Great About Roasted Cabbage Steaks?
- Roasting! Roasting vegetable brings out it’s flavors and makes it very tasty. A thick slice of cabbage steak when roasted in oven turns into a beautifully caramelized/charred/ browned/crispy edges steaks that will blow your mind.
- Those crispy browned edges are the very best! I eat those crispy browned edges, place the cabbage steaks back into the oven to roast few more minutes to get some more crispy bits. They taste best!
- This is an easier version of roasted Brussel sprouts side dish. If you are a fan of roasted Brussel sprouts, try roasted cabbage.
- It’s great side dish for any meal. Especially goes great with corned beef, short ribs.
- Requires very less prep time, and cooks in less than 30 minutes (depending on how thick you cut the steaks).
- If you thought vegetables steaks are bland and boring and lack flavor and taste, you haven’t tried the best veggie steak yet! These cabbage steaks are anything but bland and boring.
- Cabbage is like a blank canvas. You can season it with any spice of your choice and it tastes great always! A simple spice mix for my steak recipe was garlic powder, onion powder, paprika with salt and pepper all mixed in EVOO.
- Keep the seasoning simple with salt and pepper or feel free to choose your favorite spice. You can use whole spices too like caraway seeds, fennel seeds.
- Don’t skip bacon. Crumbled bacon bits generously sprinkled on top along with Parmesan cheese and parsley makes it even more delicious.
- Feel free to cut cabbage the way you like – into thick round steaks or into wedges. You can use green cabbage or red cabbage.
Below picture shows all ingredients needed for cabbage steak recipe:
Cabbage – fresh green cabbage is always my choice for this recipe. Red cabbage can also be used. Cut cabbage into thick round slices or into wedges if you like.
Spice Mix – garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper mixed in EVOO. You can use whole spices too like caraway seeds, fennel seeds.
Garnish (don’t skip) – crispy bacon, grated Parmesan cheese and for freshness chopped parsley.
How To Make Cabbage Steaks (with step-by-step pictorial)?
Remove any dark, discoloured, loose leaves.
Using sharp knife cut thick round slices (or thick wedges). Make sure all steaks have even thickness so they cook evenly in oven.
In a bowl mmix together – extra virgin olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper to taste.
Spray oil on baking tray and arrange cabbage slices on it. You can line baking tray with aluminium foil if you are concerned about steaks sticking to the tray (they don’t stick if you sprayed oil generously).
Rub spice mix on cabbage slices on both sides and all edges generously.
Pre heat oven at 400 degree Fahrenheit (or 200 degree centigrade).
Place steaks in the oven and roast it for 15 to 20 minutes or until caramelized. No need to flip the steaks in between. Rotate the pan 180 degree halfway through cooking process so all steaks brown evenly.
Remove tray from oven.
Immediately sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top so cheese can melt in the heat.
Let the steaks cool a little bit.
Using flat spatulas carefully remove steaks from tray and transfer to serving dish.
Don’t forget crispy bacon and chopped parsley garnish in the end before serving.
How To Cook Cabbage Steaks?
There are many ways to cook the steaks.
- Grill It – Prepare steak, brush it with spice rub. Heat up the grill to around 400 F. Brush oil on the grill, place steaks and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Flip and cook on other side until browned.
- Cast Iron Skillet On Stove Top – Heat cast iron skillet on stove top. Pour about 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Place cabbage steaks brushed with spice rub and cook on medium high heat for 4 minutes. Carefully flip and cook on other side.
- Roast In Oven – prepared steaks as mentioned above in how to make cabbage steaks. Heat oven to 400 F. Place steaks rubbed with spice mix on baking tray greased with oil. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, rotating the tray 180 degrees halfway in between.
How To Cut Cabbage Steaks?
To Cut Round Steaks-
Once you remove dark and loose leaves place whole cabbage on it’s stem on cutting board. Start cutting thick (about ½ inch) round steaks using sharp knife. Be careful while cutting. Hold cabbage stable on the board and cut.
Make sure to cut all steaks with even thickness so they all roast and brown evenly.
To Cut Cabbage Wedges Steaks-
Remove any discoloured or torn leaves from the outside. Keep root intact so leaves stay intact.
Cut cabbage head into half. Cut each half into 1 ½ inch wedges leaving the root intact to keep it’s leaves intact.
You can cut 4 wedges or 8 wedges depending on the size of the cabbage head.
How To Store Cabbage Steaks?
If you have leftover steaks, store them in fridge for about a week or freeze it for longer storage.
Fridge – store any leftover steaks in air tight container and store in away in fridge for about 1 week. To reheat steaks – place steaks in aluminium foil, spray oil on top. Cover the foil and reheat in oven at 350 degree Fahrenheit for 5 minutes. Note – once reheated texture of the cabbage will change slightly. It won’t be that crispy and crunchy.
Freezer – to store longer, transfer steaks into air tight container or freezer friendly zip lock bags and store in freezer for about 3 months. To reheat frozen steaks, thaw steaks in fridge overnight. Spray olive oil on the steals and cover in aluminium foil. Reheat in pre heated oven at 350 F for about 5 minutes. Steaks might not have the same crispiness and crunch to it, but will taste good.
Substitutions and Variations
Cabbage steaks with garlic, Parmesan and bacon has always been my go-to flavor combinations. It tastes great with any dish.
There are many other flavor combinations you can use while cooking steaks. Below are a few ideas you can try or use your own mix.
Salt-Pepper-Butter – It’s a simple flavor profile but end result is great. Butter adds richness to the steaks and a well-seasoned steak with salt and pepper never fails.
Garlic-Fennel-Salt-Pepper – a tablespoon of fresh garlic mince, a teaspoon of fennel seeds and good seasoning of salt and ground pepper.
Crème Fraiche – Lemon Juice-Dijon Mustard-Salt-Pepper- This combination will add rich flavors to steaks.
Balsamic Vinegar – Honey-Salt-Pepper-Olive oil – this flavor combination works great with red cabbage steaks.
TRY OUR OTHER VEGETARIAN SIDE DISHES:
Don’t forget to Subscribe to CurryTrail Recipes below to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
HAVE YOU TRIED ONE OF MY RECIPES? I’D LOVE TO SEE WHAT YOU’VE MADE! TAKE A PICTURE AND USE THE HASHTAG #CURRYTRAIL ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE! I’LL DO A HAPPY DANCE IF YOU TRY MY RECIPE AND SHARE IT WITH US!
Best Roasted Cabbage Steaks
- 1 small green head cabbage discolored loose leaves removed
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder if using fresh garlic use two cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper freshly ground
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese powdered cheese works best
- ⅓ cup bacon crumbled
- Parsley chopped for garnish
- Remove any dark, discolored, loose leaves.
- Using sharp knife cut thick round slices (or thick wedges). Make sure all steaks have even thickness so they cook evenly in oven.
- In a bowl mix together – extra virgin olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper to taste.
- Spray oil on baking tray and arrange cabbage slices on it. You can line baking tray with aluminium foil if you are concerned about steaks sticking to the tray (they don’t stick if you sprayed oil generously).
- Rub spice mix on cabbage slices on both sides and all edges generously.
- Pre heat oven at 400 degree Fahrenheit (or 200 degree centigrade).
- Place steaks in the oven and roast it for 15 to 20 minutes or until caramelized. No need to flip the steaks in between. Rotate the pan 180 degree halfway through cooking process so all steaks brown evenly.
- Remove tray from oven.
- Immediately sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top so cheese can melt in the heat.
- Let the steaks cool a little bit.
- Using flat spatulas carefully remove steaks from tray and transfer to serving dish.
- Don’t forget crispy bacon and chopped parsley garnish in the end before serving.
- Serve immediately.