Melting potatoes are best ever melt-in-your-mouth, super delicious potato recipe! These oven roasted melting potatoes are wonderfully caramelized on the outside, delicate and creamy inside. Talk about new ways to cook spuds, this is it!
Popularized by the internet, melting potatoes are best trending topic on Pinterest for a while now! A trend that we didn’t wanted to be behind of. So ,presenting to you the Pinterest trendy, one of the easiest and best side dish ever!
For me potatoes are obsession! Who doesn’t love potatoes! How many different ways I love my potatoes? Well ALL of them – baked, fried, mashed, smashed, hassle back, gnocchi, hash browns, and how can I forget crispy potato chips! It’s always exciting to have another new way to cook the spud – and that is MELTING POTATOES.
The first time I saw the post on melting potatoes on cook’scountry, I knew I will be doing this right away and sharing it with my readers.
What are melting potatoes?
Melting potatoes are basically melt-in-your-mouth potato slices that are basically super crispy potatoes on the outside and rich, flavor packet most decadent mashed potato like inside. Basically, melting potatoes are best of both worlds – roasted potatoes and mashed potatoes! If you haven’t tried melting roasted potatoes, we highly recommend you to it ASAP. This recipe will get you hooked and won’t let you think of potatoes the same way ever again.
We are serving this ultra-delicious melting potatoes with everything. With salads, pork chop, grilled meat, or just the way it is.
Technique used for ultra-delicious melting potatoes recipe is butter roasting thick slices of Yukon potatoes until they turn from hard tubers to buttery potatoes that almost melts in your mouth! We are about to twice bake these potatoes.
First, roasting until potatoes turn dark amber on the outside giving you a rich caramelized crispy outside, buttery creamy inside.
Second, caramelized potatoes are them soaked in flavor packed broth and baked in oven until it turn tender enough that it cuts like butter!
What’s needed for Melting potatoes?
No fancy ingredients. You’ll have everything needed in your pantry mostly. Start off with 2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes. Thick potato slices are mixed with ½ stick(50 grams) unsalted butter , Kosher salt – for seasoning, Freshly ground pepper, 1 tablespoon fresh or dried thyme, 1 tablespoon fresh or dried rosemary. The second bake needs 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock, 6-8 cloves garlic, minced, 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
See we promised all you need is simple and readily available ingredients.
How to Make Melting Potatoes
Start off with Yukon gold potatoes. Scrub well to remove any dirt, wash and pat dry.
Peel skin off and cut into thick 1 inch round slices.
Place potato slices in a bowl. Mix in melted butter, kosher salt, fresh herbs, seasoning (salt and ground pepper). Mix everything until well combined.
Arrange in single layer over a large metal baking tray with at least ¼ inch between potato discs.
Pro-Tip : DO NOT USE GLASS BAKING TRAY as there are chances of the dish cracking at high baking temperature.
Preheat oven to 500 degree F.
Roast in oven for 25 minutes or until the bottom gets nice golden brown color.
Flip once and continue to roast in oven for another 20 minutes.
While potatoes are roasting in oven, whisk vegetable or chicken broth, minced garlic and lemon juice together.
Once potatoes are baked, remove from oven, note they are now turned into gorgeous golden brown.
Pour broth over the potatoes, bake for another 15 minutes.
Remove baking tray from pay, melting roasted potatoes would have turned softer and the broth would be reduced and turned thick now.
Let it sit for 5 minutes.
Carefully remove melting potatoes with slotted sharp spoon onto a serving dish.
Spoon a little of gorgeous thick sauce over the melting potatoes.
Would you love to try decadent roasted potatoes in Instant Pot ? We got the Perfect Best Ever Roasted Instant Pot Potatoes recipe for you guys. You definitely don’t want to miss this out! Try is ASAP
Looking for more thanksgiving potato side dish recipe? Look no further, we have a few options for you’all and we are sure you’ll love it.
Tips to Remember for Oven Roasted Melting Potatoes
- Make sure you cut every potato slice of same thickness. Use each slice that is at least 1 ½ inch in diameter.
- Use ONLY metal baking tray for oven roasting potato slices. We do not recommend glass baking dish for roasting potatoes. At 500 degree F your glass baking dish can crack and break.
- Yukon gold potatoes are best for making melting potatoes.
- Flavoring potatoes adds that oomph to the dish. Herbs, garlic, butter everything adds flavor. We went with thyme and rosemary for herb seasoning. You could also use dill leaves, and thyme.
- Always serve melting potatoes WARM.
- Any leftover can be stored in fridge for 5 days. Before serving, reheat in microwave for a minute or two and serve WARM.
Clean potatoes well. Trim off 2 edges.
Peel skin off.
Make 1 inch thick round slices.
Place sliced potatoes in a bowl.
Pour melted butter(unsalted).
Sprinkle kosher salt.
Add in finely chopped fresh thyme and rosemary. Use dried herbs if you don’t have fresh ones.
Add freshly ground pepper to taste.
Mix everything well.
Arrange potato slices in single layer on metal baking tray.
Pre heat over at 500 degree F.
Place baking tray into preheated oven and roast potatoes for 20 minutes or until the bottom of potatoes are golden brown.
Remove tray from oven, carefully flip potatoes.
Return tray back into oven and roast other side for 15 to minutes or until golden brown.
In a jar whisk in minced garlic and lemon juice in vegetable or chicken broth.
Pour broth over roasted golden brown potatoes.
Put tray back into oven and continue to bake for another 15 minutes.
By now potatoes would turn moist and soft and sauce would thicken.
Let the tray rest for 5 minutes outside before you transfer into serving dish.
Before serving spoon little thick sauce over melting potatoes.
Always serve warm.
Don’t forget to Subscribe to CurryTrail Recipes below to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Watch me make Melting Potatoes Recipe in this video
Best Ever Melting Potatoes
- 2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes.
- ½ stick 50 grams unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dried rosemary
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For garnish –
- Finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Pre heat oven to 500 degree F
- Scrub Yukon gold potatoes to remove dirt. Wash under running tap. Drain well and pat dry in kitchen towel.
- Peel skin off.
- Make 1 inch thick round slices. Make sure all slices are same size. Do not use any potato slice that is less than 1 ½ inch diameter. You want all potato slices to roast evenly in oven.
- Transfer cut potato slices in a bowl.
- Melt 50 grams butter in microwave on high power for about 15 seconds.
- Pour melted butter over potato slices.
- Sprinkle kosher salt.
- Add finely chopped fresh thyme and rosemary herbs. If you don’t have fresh herbs, use dried thyme and rosemary. Alternatively you can use dill, rosemary and thyme mix of herbs as well. To me- rosemary and potatoes are HEAVEN. So I wouldn’t skip rosemary in the recipe.
- Add fresh ground pepper. I used about 2 teaspoon, use as per your spice preference.
- Using a spoon, mix everything well. Make sure all ingredients are combined together.
- Empty the bowl of potatoes mixed with seasoning and herbs onto metal baking tray.
- Arrange potatoes in single layer, ensuring slices are spaced.
- Place tray in pre heated oven and roast potatoes at 500 F for about 20-25 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown.
- Remove tray from oven, flip all potato slices. Put tray bake into oven and bake for another 15 to 18 minutes until all slices are golden brown.
- While potato slices are roasting, add minced garlic and lemon juice to vegetable broth or chicken broth or even beef broth. Mix.
- Pour this over roasted golden brown potatoes.
- Continue to bake for another 15 minutes.
- Potatoes should be tender, should cut like butter with butter knife. And the sauce would thicken.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes outside oven.
- Using a slotted sharp spoon remove melting potatoes from tray to a serving dish.
- Drizzle some thick sauce over it.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
- Serve warm.
“PIN IT” TO YOUR BOARD