I am going to be feeding you guys virtually with a whole lot of non vegetarian delicacies! All you non vegetarians get ready to go bananas. All my vegetarian friends, I got a lot of delicacies lined up for you guys as well. So don’t go anywhere, stay tuned, keep in touch.
Cooking isn’t complex at all and when it’s all planned well, cooking becomes a fun activity. My hubby hates cooking. I have mentioned this in my earlier posts, that he is good at making tea and noodles. Ask him any other thing to make, he just can’t do it. I have started giving him weekend assignments –and it started last week and the task was to make omelet all by himself. I stood next to him one day to show him what goes in making omelets and how to make it, he called it “master class with Jyothi” ! 😀 😛
I was rolling my eyes, “master class” for an omelet!!? But then I realized, never underestimate any work or any recipe for that matter. I struggled making a “perfect” omelet few years back, and I have no rights to make fun of him now. So I controlled my tongue and we went on.
The process began, by the time he had chopped onions-green chilies, half of which were all over the place, whisked the eggs, lit the stove, poured the egg mixture and then the most challenging part- to flip the omelet, by that time, his face showed it all!..He had lost his patience and was angry with all the step by step process. He took out that 1 omelete when it was done,placed it on a plate and started to walk off. I told him, “wait’s it’s not over yet, you’re gonna make omelet for all of us, it’s 4 omelet!!”… He was furious! But I gave him the push, and somehow made him cook 4 omelets for all of us. The omelet turned delicious, I must say.
So now I have finally decided to make him cook something every weekend, starting from basics. That’s going to be one of my weekend project! I believe in the saying, “if you want to eat, learn to cook”! But he has not given his word to me and he says “good luck with it, let’s see”! Cause he sure knows he will not succeed in learning to cook even the basic dishes, but I am not going to go easy as well. I’m not giving up! So wish me luck, in teaching my husband to have some patience and learn to cook, learn the basics of cooking, and learn some basic dishes! 😀
French onion chicken is a delicious, creamy, rich flavored chicken. The flavor of caramelized onions is what makes the body of this dish. This dish does not have soupy consistency. The dish has bold flavors from caramelized onions and it’s just perfect dinner with some hot, fresh French bread to dip in and eat them. It’s simply delicious!
Usually, French onion dish calls for Gruyere cheese, since I could not find the cheese any where locally, I simple skipped it. But to experience the traditional French onion chicken taste, do add Gruyere cheese to give that bubbly, cheesy texture.
250 grams (thighs, cut into 2)
5 big onions (French onions)
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon thyme
1 ½ cups chicken stock
1½ teaspoon flour
Salt to taste
1 ½ teaspoon pepper powder
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
¼ cup Gruyere cheese
- Clean and wash the chicken thighs well. Cut them into 2 pieces. I used chicken without skin.
- Add salt, pepper powder to the chicken pieces and mix well. Marinate it for about 30 minutes inside fridge.
- In a cast iron pan add olive. Add crushed garlic and sauté until it turns brown. Now add the marinated chicken pieces. Roast it until it turns brown on both sides. Remove from the pan and set it aside.
- Now add butter and let it melt. Add thin sliced onions to the pan and cook on low flame until the onions caramelize. It would take some time to caramelize the onions. Be patient.
- Once the onions are caramelized, add thyme and sauté for a minute.
- Add flour, whisk well. Make sure no lumps are formed.
- Add chicken stock, continue to whisk and cook until thickened.
- Add the roasted chicken into the pan, cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Finally add vinegar and Dijon mustard mix well and cook for 3 minutes.
- Now add grated Gruyere cheese on top of the chicken, broil it for 2 to 3 minutes until cheese melts and bubbles up.
- Serve immediately with French bread.