Apple slices spiced with cinnamon powder and sweetened with sugar then rolled in flour tortillas, smothered with sauce then baked to golden brown, topped with remaining sauce, nuts and ice cream. Do I need to say more?
Enchiladas are popular Mexican dish that is made by stuffing vegetables and baked beans in corn tortillas, enchilada sauce and cheese are added to it and then baked in oven. While that is savory enchilada there is sweet version too, which usually uses fruits in the stuffing.
I’m using apples here. You can easily substitute with peaches or cherries. Sweet apple enchiladas with cinnamon powder, butter and sugar in it makes it a rich delicious dessert.
The aroma that fills the house when you bake this enchilada is divine.
3 corn tortillas
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
½ teaspoon lime juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
For brown sauce
2 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoon white sugar
1/3 cup butter
½ cup water
A pinch of salt
Vanilla ice cream for topping
Chopped walnuts for topping
- Peel the skin on apples, and slice then lengthwise.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a pan. Add apple slices and cook for 3 minutes until softened. Add sugar and cinnamon powder, mix well. Continue to cook for another 4 to 5 minutes. Turn off flame and let it cool completely.
- To prepare the brown sauce – mix all the ingredients mentioned in the list in a sauce pan. Heat the pan and bring it to boil. Once it starts boiling, keep whisking and continue to boil. In 3 to 4 minutes the sauce will thicken up a bit. Remove from flame.
- Lightly warm the tortillas so it doesn’t break while rolling.
- Place 2 full spoons of apples one end of the tortilla. Fold the two sides of the tortilla over the apples. Hold the end where apples are placed and carefully roll tucking in the sides as much possible and roll tight. Repeat for rest of the tortilla.
- Grease a pan with butter. Place the rolled tortillas on baked tray. Pour the sauce generously over the tortillas. Let the tortillas sit for about 15 minutes.
- Pre heat oven at 180 degree centigrade. Now bake for 20 minutes or until tortillas turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven.
- Transfer to serving plates. Top with chopped walnuts and scoop of vanilla ice cream. Serve immediately.