For moist, succulent, fall off the bones wings try instant pot chicken wings. This super easy to make and incredibly delicious chicken wings needs 30 minutes. THE BEST party food ever!
Enter the world of messy eating! Enter Instant Pot Chicken Wings! Get ready for some serious messy fingers, which you will only go licking! The sauce is everything and we have killer sauce recipe.
Instant Pot Chicken Wings
Forget the deep fried chicken wings recipe; forget the calories of deep frying. Make chicken wings in Instant Pot. Becauseit’s unbelievably easy to make and so much healthier than the deep fried version. Give it a try, you’ll get hooked to the recipe.
The thing about chicken wings made in instant pot is – it’s unbelievably juicy, moist. The meat literally falls off the bones. If you try this recipe, we promise you’ll get the most tender chicken wings that is full of flavors!
When it gets covered in buttery buffalo BBQ sauce and broiled you get a crispy outer, perfectly seasoned, fall off the bones wings!
Your chicken wing takes only 30 minutes and you can use fresh or frozen chicken wings here. So this recipe is perfect if want to bring something quick to the living room table during football party. Chicken wings are simply the world’s most favorite football party food.
Minimal effort, very less hands-on prep and cooking time. That’s our promise to you.
Pressure Cooker Chicken Wings
Season fresh or frozen chicken wings (we used a mix of both wings and drums) with your favorite spice rub. Place it in instant pot, cook. And while chicken gets cooked in the pot, you can whip up your very own homemade chicken wings buffalo sauce.
Fresh chicken takes about 5 minutes to cook in instant pot, and frozen would take about 12 minutes to cook. The sauce? You’ll need a minute to whip up the sauce!
Coat cooked chicken in buffalo BBQ sauce liberally. Line up chicken coated in sauce over baking wire mesh placed over baking sheet lined with aluminium foil.
Broil for 4 minutes on each side. This helps chicken exterior to crisp up.
We prefer to finally toss the broiled chicken wings in the remaining sauce. It adds to the stickiness and the rich flavors of sauce on the exterior of the chicken. Every bite will be a big flavor explosion in your mouth. You can serve it plain after broil, without tossing in the remaining sauce – completely your choice!
Why Instant Pot Chicken Wings Recipe Works
Chicken wings are without doubt the most sought off party food around the world, especially for football party, chicken wings is mandatory to have.
Making wings in instant pot has it’s own set of benefits.
1. The recipe gives you the juiciest and tender chicken wings. The meat literally falls off the bone.
2. Forget the calories of deep frying. Try healthier version of chicken wings in instant pot.
3. In about 30 minutes, delicious chicken wings instant pot is ready. With very minimal prep work and hands-on cooking time.
4. Watch your favorite football while instant pot and broiler(oven) does ALL the work. Your favorite appetizer is ready in minutes while you are enjoying your time in front of the television.
5. A recipe fit for the family. Kids and adults favorite. You’ll definitely want to make a BIG batch because it’s going to vanish in no time.
What You Need For Instant Pot Chicken Wings Recipe
Chicken Wings cut into wingettes and drumettes + few chicken drumsticks
Salt and Ground Pepper to taste
Smoked paprika (or use Cayenne pepper)
Hot sauce (any hot sauce such as Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, Sriracha, Habenaro Hot Sauce)
Instant Pot (We used 7 Qt Instant Pot)
Broiler or oven
Measuring Cups and Spoons
Mixing Bowls or zip lock bags
Can Instant Pot Chicken Wings be Made Ahead
IP chicken wings once broiled turns the out skin crispy. The crispiness stays few about 20-30 minutes only. Also considering the amount of sauce it’s tossed it, these wings will turn soggy if made to sit for long time. Pressure cooker chicken wings are fantastic the day they are made.
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Wings
Step 1: Cut chicken wings into wingettes and drumettes. We used a couple of chicken drumsticks as well along with the wings.
Place cleaned and cut chicken wings and drumsticks in a big bowl. You can use zip lock bags as well for lesser dishes to clean.
Step 2: Add salt and pepper to taste, paprika powder, onion powder, garlic powder and toss chicken pieces well.
Step 3: Into instant pot pour ½ cup of water. Place the trivet inside or use steamer basket.
Note : Do not use more than ½ cup of water inside Instant Pot.
Step 4: Place seasoned chicken pieces on trivet. Cover the lid with pressure valve in sealing position.
Step 5 : Cook on high pressure by pressing “manual pressure” button. Adjust time to 5 minutes.
Note : You’ll need to set timer to 12 minutes if using frozen chicken wings and drums.
Step 6 : While chicken cooks in instant pot, we can get the sauce made.
Into a bowl add melted butter, hot sauce, honey, BBQ sauce. Whisk well. That’s it, chicken wings sauce is ready. Keep it aside until use.
Step 7: Once cooking time is complete, do 5 minutes “natural release”. Turn the pressure valve to “venting position” using a large spoon to quick release the pressure. Open the lid.
Step 8 : Remove wings from instant pot into a bowl.
Step 9: Pour half of the prepared chicken wings sauce over the cooked chicken.
Step 10: Very gently toss to coat every piece of chicken with the sauce.
Step 11: Lay the wings on a rack lined up over baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Step 12: Broil chicken wings on high heat in broiler for about 4 minutes. Flip all wings and broil again.
Step 13: Brush broiled chicken wings in remaining sauce if you wish or serve it as it is plain.
MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES FOR YOU TO TRY –
Instant Pot Corn On The Cob
Instant Pot Bone Broth
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
Instant Pot Rice Pudding
Instant Pot Chicken Noodles Soup
Instant Pot Apple Cider
Healthier Instant Pot General Tso Chicken
And more instant pot recipes
Don’t forget to Subscribe to CurryTrail Recipes below to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
LOVE THIS RECIPE? KEEP IN TOUCH AND DON’T MISS OUT ON ANY OF CURRYTRAIL RECIPES! FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, TWITTER.
HAVE YOU TRIED ONE OF MY RECIPES? I’D LOVE TO SEE WHAT YOU’VE MADE! TAKE A PICTURE AND USE THE HASHTAG #CURRYTRAIL ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE! I’LL DO A HAPPY DANCE IF YOU TRY MY RECIPE AND SHARE IT WITH US!
Instant Pot Chicken Wings
- Instant Pot
- Mixing Bowls/Zip-Lock Bags
- Baking Sheet
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- 1 ½ lbs Chicken Wings cut into wingettes and drumettes + few chicken drumsticks
- Salt and Ground Pepper to taste
- 3 teaspoon Smoked paprika or use Cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoon Onion powder
- 2 ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup Hot sauce any hot sauce such as Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, Sriracha, Habenaro Hot Sauce
- ¼ cup Honey
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce
- Cut chicken wings into wingettes and drumettes. We used a couple of chicken drumsticks as well along with the wings.
- Place cleaned and cut chicken wings and drumsticks in a big bowl. You can use zip lock bags as well for lesser dishes to clean.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, paprika powder, onion powder, garlic powder and toss chicken pieces well.
- Into instant pot pour ½ cup of water. Place the trivet inside or use steamer basket.Note : Do not use more than ½ cup of water inside Instant Pot.
- Place seasoned chicken pieces on trivet. Cover the lid with pressure valve in sealing position.
- Press “manual pressure” button. Adjust time to 5 minutes.Note : You’ll need to set timer to 12 minutes if using frozen chicken wings and drums.
- While chicken cooks in instant pot, we can get the sauce made.
- Into a bowl add melted butter, hot sauce, honey, BBQ sauce. Whisk well. That’s it, chicken wings sauce is ready. Keep it aside until use.Pro-Tip : Keep the sauce warm, butter in the sauce will solidify as the sauce sits at room temperature or in the fridge. OR warm the sauce in microwave before using.
- Once cooking time is complete, do 5 minutes “natural pressure release”. Turn the pressure valve to “venting position” using a large spoon to release all the steam. Open the lid.
- Remove chicken wings from instant pot into a bowl.
- Pour half of the prepared chicken wings sauce over the cooked chicken.
- Very gently toss to coat every piece of chicken with the sauce.
- Lay the wings on a rack on a rimmed baking tray.
- Broil chicken wings on high heat in broiler for about 4 minutes. Flip all wings and broil again.
- Brush broiled chicken wings in remaining sauce if you wish or serve it as it is plain.Any left over sauce can be used as dipping sauce as well.
- Serve immediately.
- To Cut Chicken Wings – Hold chicken wings on drumette end, open the wing and pass the knife through the joint. Now the drumette and wingette is separated. Hold the wingette and cut the tip. Discard the tip and use both drumette and wingette in the recipe.
- Chicken Wings Sauce – Feel free to use your favorite chicken wings sauce. The sauce should have a mix of – hot sauce like Frank’s, sriracha or even haberano hot sauce, honey or brown sugar, and melted butter. You can add in more flavoring ingredients like garlic powder, BBQ sauce, a pinch of sauce to it.
- Frozen Vs Fresh Chicken Wings – If using fresh chicken wings adjust cooking time in instant pot. For fresh chicken wings – set timer to 5 minutes. For Frozen chicken wings, set timer to 12 minutes.
- Seasoning Frozen Chicken Wings – We strongly recommend you don’t skip on seasoning chicken even if the spice rub don’t stick to the frozen chicken. While cooking the spices will penetrate through chicken and will season it.
- Make Ahead – Instant Pot chicken wings stays crispy few about 20-30 minutes only. Considering the amount of sauce it’s tossed it, these wings will turn soggy if made to sit for long time. Pressure cooker chicken wings are fantastic the day they are made. If you still want to make ahead, cook seasoned chicken in instant pot, do not toss in the sauce. Store cooked chicken in a containers covered for about a day. Make sauce and keep it in fridge covered. Just before serving, warm the sauce in microwave and re-heat chicken for about 5 minutes in oven. Toss it with sauce, broil and serve immediately.
- To Broil or Not To Broil – Chicken wings cooked in instant pot will be moist and tender. And when tossed with wings sauce and served as it is, it’ll miss the signature chicken wings crispiness. We strongly recommend you broil chicken wings cooked in instant pot for about 4 to 5 minutes on both sides to get that crispiness on the outer.