Learn how to make cauliflower rice with or without food processor. Substitute rice with this healthy, low-carb cauliflower rice in any of your favorite dish.
Cauliflower rice is phenomenally low carb, grain-free, gluten-free and it’s an healthy alternative to rice. While rice makes me feel heavy, using veggies instead of rice gives option for light meal, plus get more veggies into my day.
I’m a rice eater. I’d be more than happy to see rice on my plate any day. Growing up I ate rice every-single-day. My connection with rice is true and unbreakable. Now with age, I need to watch diet and eating rice every single day – my waistline can’t afford that!
I look for low-carb options and there is no great substitution than this one. This low carb rice is light, healthy and also helps you with weight loss – if that’s your goal!
What Is Cauliflower Rice?
It’s one-ingredient rice like granules made simply by pulsing cauliflower. It’s grain free, low carb, gluten free. Cauliflower granules resembles rice in texture-wise and it’s size!
How Cauliflower Rice Tastes?
The BIG question is …how does it taste? Does it taste like rice?
Well, though cauliflower rice looks like rice (white rice) or even resembles couscous, let’s be honest it does not taste exactly like rice. It’s definitely delicious alternatives, but you’ll know the difference! It’s got a neutral taste but don’t expect it to have same neutral flavor as rice.
Cauliflower rice does have the cauliflower- smell (which can seem strong for some who doesn’t like it). It becomes tender as you cook it, but holds it’s shape. It also has the right amount of chew, like rice.
This mild tasting versatile vegetable converted to rice form can take in any flavors when you cook. Hence it’s easy to use cauliflower rice in meal prep options (in place or rice or couscous).
Once you know how to rice cauliflower, you’ll have endless option to turn raw grains into anything in likes of fried rice, burritos bowls, along with stir fry veggies or chicken.
While you can eat this low-carb rice raw(in salads), I highly recommend you to cook along with your favorite seasoning and serve.
Helpful Kitchen Tools :
Learn How To Make Cauliflower Rice With This Step-By-Step Pictorial
Use freshest cauliflower for this recipe.
Step 1 : Start by removing all the green leafy from the cauliflower.
Step 2 : Cut cauliflower into half.
Step 3 :Run knife to the ends of the florets and cut chunks of cauliflower florets.
Step 4 :
Without food processor –
Leave the cauliflower florets in big chunks if using grater. Simply grate the chunks in small hole grater that resembles the texture of rice.
You could also chop into tiny pieces to have the texture right.
With food processor –
Bread big chunks of cauliflower into small florets.
Add the florets into food processor.
Pro-Tip : Do NOT over crowd food processor. Do it in small batches. And do NOT pulse it for long time. It will make cauliflower loose it’s grain texture. We do not want too fine texture.
Step 5 : Work in small batches. Stop the processor couple of time and scrape sides for even texture.
If any florets are left unbroken, remove it from the food processor, and add it in next batch with large pieces of cauliflower.
That’s how easy it to rice cauliflower.
How To Store It
It’s best to use it fresh- immediately in preparations like fried rice, tabbouleh or in burrito bowls. If you want to make ahead and store longer, recommend you to pack uncooked grains of cauliflower in individual zip lock bags and freeze it for up to 1 month.
Cauliflower Rice Calories
If you are looking at cutting down carbs, you definitely want to be substituting rice with this low-carb rice. It’s not just low in carbs, it’s high in fibre, rich in vitamins and potassium.
While 1 cup of rice contains approximately 220 calories, cauliflower rice calories are very less comparatively. It’s as less as approximately 25 calories for 1 cup. This gives you all reason to substitute rice with with this healthy alternative if you are watching calories.
How To Use Frozen Cauliflower Rice
Frozen rice cauliflower has to be thawed at room temperature for about 15 minutes then it’s ready to use. Use it your favorite rice dish as substitute for rice.
MORE LOW-CARB RECIPES –
Don’t forget to Subscribe to CurryTrail Recipes below to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
How To Make Cauliflower Rice
- 1 cauliflower head
- Start by removing all the green leafy from the cauliflower.
- Cut cauliflower into half.
- Run knife to the ends of the florets and cut chunks of cauliflower florets.
- Without food processor –
- Leave the cauliflower florets in big chunks if using grater. Simply grate the chunks in small hole grater to make cauliflower rice that resembles the texture of rice.
- You could also chop into tiny pieces to have the texture right.
- With food processor –
- Bread big chunks of cauliflower into small florets.
- Add the florets into food processor.Pro-Tip : Do NOT over crowd food processor. Do it in small batches. And do NOT pulse it for long time. It will make cauliflower loose it’s grain texture. We do not want too fine texture.
- Work in small batches. Stop the processor couple of time and scrape sides for even texture.
- If any florets are left unbroken, remove it from the food processor, and add it in next batch with large pieces of cauliflower.
- That’s how easy it to rice cauliflower rice.
- Use riced cauliflower in preparations like fried rice, tabbouleh or in burrito bowls or store in zip lock bags in freezer. Best store individual portions in zip lock bags, so you could remove and use the amount you want.