This outrageously delicious garlic Parmesan sauce has wonderful rich flavors from roasted garlic and Parmesan cheese. Toss with pasta, pour it over roasted veggies, use it as dipping sauce or even as pizza sauce.
Garlic is wonderful when paired with Parmesan cheese. And adding roasted garlic makes this cheesy sauce rich in flavors and brings out the sweetness of garlic making it outrageously delicious!
I’m all about flavors! I love how adding garlic transforms a dish into one-amazing-flavor-packed one! Rich, sweetness from roasted garlic and saltiness from Parmesan cheese will make any dish pack with flavors.
Roasted garlic Parmesan sauce
One of the simplest sauces you’ll ever make. It’s smooth, light and finger licking good! It’s not too buttery or dense. This easy to make garlic Parmesan white sauce is made starting with roux – butter & flour. Roux is thickener for creamy garlic Parmesan sauce.
Add seasonings, milk, cheese and little heavy cream in the end. This creamy garlic Parmesan sauce continues to thicken as you stir and cook further. It thickens really fast as it sits as well. So remove the sauce off the stove even BEFORE it reaches the desired consistency.
Does this mean you have to make the sauce and use it immediately? Absolutely NOT! This garlic Parmesan white sauce can be made ahead of time, and stored in fridge or frozen for longer storage.
Reheat sauce and thin it with milk or stock and use it to toss with pasta or as dipping sauce.
How to roast garlic
Method 1 :
I always prefer to roast whole garlic packed in aluminium foil in oven. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle salt over garlic, pack whole garlic head in aluminium foil and roast in pre-heated oven at 350 F for 25-35 minutes.
For Parmesan sauce I prefer to roast garlic just about. Not roast them brown. When roasted for longer, garlic begins to turn brown and caramelize. Which it’s great with other dishes, for creamy garlic Parmesan sauce I like to roast to the point it begins to brown so it doesn’t change the color of this cheese sauce.
Remove roasted garlic from oven. Let it cool down a bit. Separate each garlic clove and squeeze it holding the tip. Garlic comes out off the peel easily. If it doesn’t come off peel by squeezing, simply hold the peel and pull if off.
Roasted garlic can be stored in fridge for about a week and use it in any dish you want.
Method 2 :
Alternatively you can peel garlic and put them in small baking ramekins. Pour olive oil over garlic. Cover the ramekin with aluminium foil. Bake in pre-heated oven at 350 F for about 20-25 minutes.
Remove ramekin from oven, let it cool down little. Remove garlic from olive oil, mash/finely chop it. Use in your favorite dish.
Ingredients for garlic parmesan sauce recipe
Handful of ingredients like –
- Plain flour
- Chicken stock or vegetable stock or water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heavy cream
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Dried oregano, basil and thyme
How to make garlic parmesan sauce
Step 1 : First roast garlic. Scroll above to see how to roast garlic in oven.
Step 2 : Melt butter in sauce pan over low heat. Add roasted garlic and saute for a minute or two.
Step 3 : Add flour and cook whisking constantly on low heat.
Step 4 : Pour chicken stock slowly into sauce pan.
Step 5 : Pour in milk, cook sauce on low flame.
Step 6 : Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Add dried herbs of your choice to the sauce. Dried oregano, basil and dried thyme adds best flavors.
Step 7 : Cook with constant stirring for about 10-12 minutes on very low flame.
Step 8: Once sauce thickens, add heavy cream, grated Parmesan cheese. Cook until cheese melts.
This creamy cheesy Parmesan sauce continues to thicken as you stir and cook further. It thickens really fast as it sits as well. So remove the sauce off the stove even BEFORE it reaches the desired consistency.
How to use the sauce
Garlic Parmesan sauce can be used in so many ways.
Use it to toss pasta,
Dress roasted/baked veggies with this luscious sauce,
With chicken wings as dipping sauce,
Use it as a base for mac n cheese,
For pizza sauce.
Can I store parmesan cheese sauce
Yes, you can. This garlic Parmesan white sauce reheats well so you can store in fridge for about a week and for longer storage, simply freeze it for 4 to 5 months.
Reheat Parmesan garlic cheese sauce
Take the portion of cheese sauce you want to use in a sauce pan or microwave safe bowl. Add ¼ to ½ cup water depending on the quantity of sauce you use. On low heat stir and reheat until it sauce thins down. Use it in your favorite dish.
TRY OTHER SAUCE RECIPES –
- Creamy Cilantro Sauce
- 5-Minutes Boom Boom Sauce
- Sweet Chili Sauce
- Bang Bang Sauce
- Homemade Schezwan Sauce
- Mango Habanero Hot Sauce
- Cranberry Sauce
- Chimichurri Sauce
Don’t forget to Subscribe to CurryTrail Recipes below to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
HAVE YOU TRIED ONE OF MY RECIPES? I’D LOVE TO SEE WHAT YOU’VE MADE! TAKE A PICTURE AND USE THE HASHTAG #CURRYTRAIL ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE! I’LL DO A HAPPY DANCE IF YOU TRY MY RECIPE AND SHARE IT WITH US!
📋 Roasted Garlic Parmesan Sauce
- Sauce Pan
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 head 10-12 garlic, roasted in oven and mashed/minced
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock or water
- 1 cup milk (plus extra as needed if sauce turns thick)
- Salt to taste
- Crushed pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried herbs oregano, basil, thyme
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Roast Garlic :
- Place whole garlic head over aluminum foil over baking tray. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle salt over garlic, pack whole garlic head in aluminum foil and roast in pre-heated oven at 350 F for 25-35 minutes.
- Remove roasted garlic from oven. Let it cool down a bit. Separate each garlic clove and squeeze it holding the tip. Garlic comes out off the peel easily. If it doesn’t come off, simply hold the peel and pull if off.
- Note – You can make a big batch of roasted garlic and store in fridge for about a week. Use in any dish you want.
- Making Roux :
- Melt butter in sauce pan over low heat. Add roasted garlic and plain flour and cook flour on low heat with constant stirring.Keep stirring continuously to avoid lump formation and burning flour.
- Pour chicken stock (or vegetable stock for vegetarian options) in slow steady streams while whisking the flour. Next pour in milk and cook the sauce on low flame with frequent stirring.
- Seasoning :
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Add dried herbs of your choice to the sauce. Dried oregano, basil and dried thyme adds best flavors.
- Cook the mix for about 10-12 minutes on very low flame, stirring constantly.
- Add Cheese :
- Once sauce has thickened, add heavy cream and freshly grated Parmesan cheese into the sauce pan. Whisk and cook on low flame until cheese melts.
- Pro-Tip – This creamy garlic Parmesan sauce continues to thicken as you stir and cook further. It thickens really fast as it sits as well. So remove the sauce off the stove even BEFORE it reaches the desired consistency.
- Serve :
- Serve the sauce with any dish of your choice. Toss with pasta, use it as dressing over roasted veggies, use it as pizza sauce, can also use garlic Parmesan wing sauce for dipping chicken wings.
- Using roasted garlic in the sauce brings out rich, sweet taste of garlic making the sauce tastier.
- While making roux, keep whisking flour and butter mix to avoid lump formation and burning flour. Cook on low flame.
- For vegetarian option, use vegetable stock in place of chicken stock. Water can be used as well.
- Sauce thickens fast as you cook. Remove the sauce off the stove even BEFORE it reaches the desired consistency. If it’s too thin while serving, you can always place it back on top to thicken and cook.