Transform cauliflower into sensational cheesy cauliflower breadsticks made of cauliflower crust. It’s low-carb, gluten-free and healthier alternative to breast sticks. Best served with spicy marinara sauce.
Low carb, gluten free, grain free, cheesy. All in all – Awesome!
Recipe originally posted in Febuary 2015. Updated in March 2019 with photos and added a video recipe. No change in recipe. Below is an old pic
This cheesy cauliflower breadsticks is loaded with simple but flavors that work the best with this gluten free bread sticks, and eggs and cheese binds everything together. So you actually can eat it just like a breadstick, hold a slice up and pull it out. It does not fall apart! Plus the crust is so delicious, many won’t even guess that it’s made of cauliflower.
Just make the crust, load it with cheese and serve it as cauliflower breadsticks or use cauliflower crust as base to make cauliflower crusted pizza by adding your favorite toppings on top. Works best when served as appetizers along with spicy marinara sauce or as side dish with some soup or salad.
I had a huge fresh cauliflower lying in my fridge crying to me to be used into something delicious. What could I do? There were thoughts running in my mind, so many of them which wore my brain down. I wanted something new, something interesting and something delicious. Went on internet looking for something amazing, and finally settled on the idea of making a decadent cheesy cauliflower breadsticks, I was truly excited to try it out.
Phenomenally low carb, grain-free, gluten-free and it’s an healthy alternative to traditional breadsticks. This low carb cauliflower breadsticks are full of flavor, and cheese lover’s delight! Well, you can obviously tell you are not eating a “bread stick”, this cheesy cauliflower bread stick is a darn good and I don’t have to mention it’s slightly healthy compared to regular breadsticks.
The key is to get the “crust” actually browned to golden just like regular breadsticks so that it holds it’s shape. While eggs and cheesy helps bind everything together and hold it shape, you also want to make sure there isn’t any moisture in cauliflower rice.
Cook cauliflower in microwave (or on stove top) for few minutes, this will dry up riced cauliflower. Microwaved cauliflower once cooled completely, I place it in kitchen towel and squeeze out most of the water. This step is important.
IMPORTANT NOTE – If riced cauliflower is not completely dry after you microwave, squeeze out the excess liquids using a kitchen towel. I found just microwave cauliflower rice did not remove all the moisture from it. So I highly recommend you don’t skip squeezing out liquids from cauliflower rice so it’s not soggy at all.
Why Should You Make Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks
Let me name out all the reasons why should you try making cauliflower breadsticks.
- Breadsticks are sensational – true to blow your minds away.
- Cauliflower breadsticks are low carb – Isn’t that awesome.
- Many won’t believe it’s made of cauliflower and it is completely gluten-free. Have picky eaters at home? Just feed them this cheesy cauliflower breadsticks, they’ll gobble it all up!
- It tastes so good – you should be feeding your friends these cauliflower breadsticks instead of the regular breadsticks.
- Cauliflower breadsticks recipe is simple and easy to make. A bit time consuming, but most of it is taken care in microwave and oven, your hands-on prep work is not much really.
- You can and should easily double the recipe, as these breadsticks will be gone in a flash. Make a big batch and you can easily make ahead and freeze these for later use.
- Cauliflower is high in vitamins and minerals. It’s got high fiber content and is a good source of antioxidants. Cauliflower should be included in your weekly veggie intake for sure. And what better way to eat it than cheesy cauliflower breadsticks.
- Look at those golden gorgeous crispy brown edges- they are just like regular breadsticks, but actually good for you.
What Goes In Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks
We are talking simple ingredients here. Here’s what I put in my cauliflower breadstick recipe –
Cauliflower – a large head of cauliflower, but I’d advise you double the recipe (make it 2 or 3 heads of cauliflower) because this thing gets devoured pretty fast.
Cheese – Mozzarella cheese alone is fine, but I personally like the blend of mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Cheese not just helps hold it’s shape but also flavors the breadsticks. Cheddar cheese has amazing flavors according to me, so I advise you can use a mix of both.
Eggs – Definitely don’t skip eggs. Eggs binds everything together. If you want cauliflower breadsticks to be eaten like breadstick holding up in hands and dipping it in sauce, eggs does that magic to cauliflower breadsticks recipe.
Garlic – Fresh minced garlic or granulated garlic powder works. I always vouch for fresh ingredients. One of the most important flavors in cauliflower breadsticks is garlic.
Pepper and Salt – Always, always season. Bland, unseasoned food is boring. Salt and pepper is added according to taste. Kosher salt (ground fresh) and fresh cracked pepper is best.
Oregano – dried oregano (and as well as basil) is added for added flavors. What’s breadstick or pizza without oregano in it?!
How To Make Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks(Step-By-Step Photos)
Cauliflower Rice –
Start with large head of cauliflower. Remove green leafy part and roughly chop into florets. Place the florets in food processor and pulse until cauliflower florets are chopped to rice consistency.
Note – If you do not have food processor, grate florets in fine grated.
Cooking Cauliflower –
I often get asked, is it necessary to cook cauliflower rice , twice? I say, yes it’s important to cook cauliflower to make cauliflower breadsticks or cauliflower pizza. Mainly for the reason that it should hold it’s shape.
First in microwave safe bowl, cook cauliflower rice for 10 minutes. Let it cool.
If you don’t have microwave, cook cauliflower rice on stove top on very low heat for few minutes, ensuring you do not brown cauliflower rice.
Wring Out Liquid –
Microwave cauliflower rice shouldn’t be enough to dry it out completely? No, I tested thrice and I found riced cauliflower even after microwaving retains some water. How did I check? I microwave riced cauliflower for 10 minutes, cooled until the point there was no steam coming out of cooked cauliflower (spread microwaved cauliflower onto large tray for faster and even cooling). Touch and feel test and I could feel there was some moisture left.
So I highly recommend you to wring out all the liquids out by placing cooled riced cauliflower in kitchen towel, squeeze and twist all the liquids out.
Cauliflower Breadstick Dough –
To dry cauliflower mix, add minced garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, eggs and cheese (2 cups mozzarella and ½ cup cheddar). Mix until everything comes together.
Prepping Baking Tray –
Line up baking tray with parchment paper(not butter paper). And to be sure that cauliflower breadsticks don’t stick, spray parchment paper with cooking oil.
Shape and Bake –
Separate the mixture into equal portion depending on how big or how small breadsticks(or cauliflower pizza base) you prefer to make. Form a rectangle of approximately 9” x 7” using hands. Press down the dough to form even level rectangular shape and using a rubber spatula straight the edges.
Bake in pre-heated oven at 450 F for about 18 to 25 minutes or until you begin to see golden brown top on cauliflower breadsticks.
Remove from oven once it begins to brown.
Then sprinkle some more mozzarella and cheddar(if you prefer). Sprinkle some oregano as well. Place it back in oven and bake for another 5 minutes, until cheese melts.
Note – You can broil once cheese melts for 5 minutes to get golden brown top.
Slice it up into rectangle sticks and serve immediately with marinara sauce for best experience.
LOVE CAULIFLOWER? THEN DON’T MISS OUR DELICIOUS CAULIFLOWER RECIPES –
Don’t forget to Subscribe to CurryTrail Recipes below to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
CHEESY CAULIFLOWER BREADSTICKS RECIPE – QUICK VIDEO
Click play to watch video or you can scroll down to recipe card if you want written recipe.
- 1 head Cauliflower a large head about 3 lbs
- 4 Eggs
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Salt or to taste
- 1 tablespoon pepper adjust to taste
- 2 tablespoon oregano or mixed Italian seasoning
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese grated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated - optional
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese grated
- 3 tablespoon cheddar cheese – optional
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Rinse cauliflower, remove outer leaves and separate into florets with a paring knife. Place cauliflower florets in a food processor and process until “rice” texture. Some coarse chunks are fine.
- First in microwave safe bowl, cook cauliflower rice for 10 minutes. Let it cool.
- If you don’t have microwave, cook cauliflower rice on stove top on very low heat for few minutes, ensuring you do not brown cauliflower rice.
- I highly recommend you to wring out all the liquids out by placing cooled riced cauliflower in kitchen towel, squeeze and twist all the liquids out.
- To dry cauliflower mix, add minced garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, eggs and cheese (2 cups mozzarella and ½ cup cheddar). Mix until everything comes together.
- Line up baking tray with parchment paper(not butter paper). And to be sure that cauliflower breadsticks don’t stick, spray parchment paper with cooking oil.
- Separate the mixture into equal portion depending on how big or how small breadsticks(or cauliflower pizza base) you prefer to make. Form a rectangle of approximately 9” x 7” using hands. Press down the dough to form even level rectangular shape and using a rubber spatula straight the edges.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 450 F for about 18 to 25 minutes or until you begin to see golden brown top on cauliflower breadsticks.
- Remove from oven once it begins to brown. Then sprinkle some more mozzarella and cheddar(if you prefer). Sprinkle some oregano as well. Place it back in oven and bake for another 5 minutes, until cheese melts.
- Note – You can broil once cheese melts for 5 minutes to get golden brown top.
- Slice it up into rectangle sticks and serve immediately with marinara sauce for best experience.
- You can also freeze the breadsticks tightly wrapped in plastic, for up to 1 month. Thaw on a counter or in a microwave.