These crispy spicy roasted chickpeas are anything but addictive. Don’t worry, these are healthy oven roasted super crispy snack perfect for you snack cravings! So munch on these crunchy snack, GUILT-FREE!
Roasted chickpeas are less salty (not loaded), crunchy, and has a nice kick to it from the spice powders. These are more importantly protein loaded snack.
Guys you won’t believe how easy it is to make these chickpeas. Leave those fat loaded chips, take a bowl of these healthy roasted chickpeas, and trust me these do satisfy your chip cravings!
If you are looking for light snack, than this one is your best bet. It definitely pleases large crowd also in case you want entertainment snacks. Super crunchy, coated in some simple but flavor packed spices. Plus it’s plant-based and gluten free as well.
You don’t have to deep fry them, you don’t need to coat them in flour, simply toss with spices and bake in oven. Roasting chickpeas do take time in the oven in crisp up, but no need to stand near by and keep a constant watch.
Roasted chickpeas recipe needs just a few simple ingredients and you get a delicious high-protein, high fiber, uber delicious snack. You can serve it as snack, or equally as an appetizer. These roasted chickpea recipe is great for post work out snacking ideas.
Chips packets – be gone!
Crunchy, ultra delicious chickpeas are here! Next time you think of buying damn-worst-for -my-waistline packet of potato chips, do yourself a favor and get a bag of garbanzo beans. Because we are going to satisfy those salt loaded potato chip craving with healthy alternative roasted garbanzo beans.
And you will be blown away with all the million ways to serve these amazing roasted garbanzo beans. Trust me you can make it a million ways too. Just toss with your favorite spice blend and you have your favorite snack ready.
My version of spicy chickpeas recipe is real simple. Overnight soaked chickpeas is tossed in cayenne powder, paprika powder, ground pepper and salt, then baked. Go nuts with the spice mix for flavoring, really! Because these baked chickpeas are seriously with almost any spice blend you can think of.
Roasted spicy chickpeas toss is salt – as simple as it gets and as delicious as it could be.
Are Chickpeas The Same As Garbanzo Beans?
Chickpeas and garbanzo beans are both refer to the same legume. It is in fact the same bean but referred with different terms . It’s different country language thing. Chickpeas are more common name used in British English. Across US you will find these two terms used interchangeably.
Tips To Make Crispy Chickpeas
Drain -Soaked or canned chickpeas should be rinsed and drained very well. Make sure you remove all the moisture. Less moisture = crispy chickpeas.
Pat Dry – Draining ensure almost all moisture is removed. But chickpeas will still be wet. Like we said, we aim to remove all moisture. So once drained well, dry chickpeas in paper towel.
Peel – We remove skin on chickpeas for two reasons. Oh I hate the papery skin on top of chickpeas and removing the skin helps in turning these more crispier.
Spread – once mixed with spices, you want to layer the chickpeas in single layer on baking sheet. Also ensure they are not touching each other.
Flavor it later – I have found that first roasting chickpeas slightly and then adding all the flavors to it, roast again some more gives you crunchier chickpeas.
Crack open oven door – this technique really works. I found this trick to work in Baked potato wedges, Crispy Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries. Once baking time is done, crack open over door slightly and leave the chickpeas inside the oven for about 15 minutes. As the chickpeas sits in the oven and cools down, it turn get more crunchier.
Follow all these steps and you are guaranteed to have crispy chickpeas.
Flavor Variations For Baked Chickpeas
You’ll find zillions of recipes with zillion flavor profile variations on the internet. Every flavor works for baked chickpeas, ALMOST !
Here’s few seasoning suggestion that you can use while roasting chickpeas-
Savory Seasonings –
Olive oil+ Cayenne pepper + Paprika + Ground black pepper + Salt
Olive oil + Chili powder + Lime zest + Lime juice + Ground Cumin + Sea Salt
Olive oil + Salt + Ground Cumin + Cayenne pepper
Sesame oil + Ground ginger + Ground garlic + Sea salt (Asian flavor)
Olive oil + Ground Ginger + Ground Cumin + Ground Coriander + Paprika
Olive oil + Paprika + Cumin + Chili powder + Garlic powder + Onion powder + Sea salt (BBQ flavor)
Olive oil + Ground Cumin + Ground Coriander + chili powder (Paprika) + Turmeric powder + Garam masala (Indian flavor)
Sweet Seasonings –
Olive oil + Honey + Sea Salt + Cinnamon Powder
Olive oil + Cinnamon Powder + Sugar
These are just to name a few. Let your imagination run wild!
How to roast chickpeas
If using dry chickpeas soak overnight and cook until half done. If using canned chickpeas, rinse and drain well. Rinsing canned chickpeas removes excess starch resulting in crunchier chickpeas.
Drained chickpeas needs to be dried on kitchen towel. Pat dry well.
Remove the papery skin on chickpeas by pressing it between your fingers. A gentle press should remove the skin on. This step is optional.
Roast chickpeas in pre heated oven at 400 for 10-15 minutes. Remember we are roasting naked chickpeas, no seasoning yet.
Then remove from oven, transfer into a bowl, add olive oil.
Now the seasoning
And sea salt
Toss well to ensure everything is evenly coated in the spices.
Layer it on baking tray in single layer
Bake until done. Will take about 35-40 minutes in total.
How To Serve Crispy Chickpeas
While these roasted crispy chickpeas are equally good as snack or appetizers, you can serve them in so many other ways too.
These roasted crispy chickpeas are great as salad toppings. Buttery croutons be gone –we have healthy crunchy crispy chickpeas as topping for my favorite salad.
Top it over baked sweet potatoes along with pesto.
Stuff it in butternut squash.
Are you a chickpea lover? Then don’t forget to check these other chickpea recipes –
Don’t forget to Subscribe to CurryTrail Recipes below to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 15 ounce chickpeas rinsed, drained, dried, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- About 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Pre heat oven to 400 F
- Dry chickpeas - soak overnight and next morning cook in enough water until half done. Drain well.
- Canned chickpeas - rinse and drain well. Rinsing canned chickpeas removes excess starch resulting in crunchier chickpeas.
- Drained chickpeas need to be dried on kitchen towel. Pat dry well.
- Remove the papery skin on chickpeas by pressing it between your fingers. A gentle press should remove the skin on. This step is optional.
- Spread chickpeas on greased baking tray and roast chickpeas in pre heated oven for 10-15 minutes. Remember we are roasting naked chickpeas, no seasoning yet.
- Then remove slightly cooked chickpeas from oven, add olive oil, all the seasonings and put it back on baking tray in single layer.
- Bake until done. Will take about 35-40 minutes in total. Stir a few times for even roasting during the baking time.
- Once roasted well, crack open oven door slightly and let the chickpeas stay on baking sheet inside the oven. While chickpeas cook inside the oven it will turn crunchier.
- Remove baking tray from oven scoop over roasted chickpea on to serving bowl if serving.
- If you want to store baked chickpeas, let it cool completely and then store in air tight container. These should stay crunchy for upto a week.
- Remove Chickpea Skin : I know, this is tedious job, peeling papery skin off each chickpea, but removing skin helps chickpeas crisp up better.
- Canned Chickpeas : If you plan to use canned chickpeas, make sure chickpeas are rinsed and drained well.
- Dry : Remove as much moisture from chickpeas (for both canned or homemade cooked chickpeas) using paper towel. Moisture will prevent chickpeas from crisping up. Less moisture = Crispy chickpeas.
- Flavor it Up : Roast chickpeas plain first. Then add the flavors you want to and roast again.
- Crack Open Oven Door : this is very useful tip. Once baking time is done, crack open over door slightly and leave roasted chickpeas inside the oven for about 15 minutes. As the chickpeas sits in the oven and cools down, it turn get more crunchier.