Fresh tomato salad is simply the best summer salad you’ll ever make! This salad is ideal to be served with anything from the grill! It tastes absolutely delicious after it has been marinated for an hour. Can be served chilled or at room temperature!
Use up the best supply of excellent quality fresh tomatoes from your own garden or from the farmers markets! The recipe for this tomato onion basil salad is uncomplicated!
All you need to do is simply slice red onions, half or quarter the cherry or grape tomatoes and finely chop fresh basil. Toss everything together with little red wine vinegar, EVOO and salt and pepper.
Why Should You Try Tomato Onion Salad
1. Uses fresh summer produce that are available in bountiful. Fresh summer cherry or grape tomatoes either from your own garden patch or from your favorite farmers market.
2. The recipe is so simple you’ll think you are cheating!
3. The flavors in the salad are simple but divine! Make sure to use the freshest ingredients for best optimal flavors!
4. Fresh ripe cherry tomatoes, crunchy red onions, and fresh herbs like basil and mint will make the best side dish alongside any type of grilled meat!
All you need for the salad is shown in below pic:
Tomatoes: Best to use meaty tomatoes like cherry or grape tomatoes. You want to pick tomatoes which have less liquid! If you can’t find cherry tomatoes, ripe roma tomatoes can be used, make sure you cut them into chunks.
EVOO: Your salad is only as good as your ingredients. Along with fresh cherry tomatoes, you need to make sure you use best quality extra virgin olive oil! Not the cheap ones! EVOO will impart optimal flavors to the salad.
Red Wine Vinegar: Go for the best quality red wine vinegar you can get! Red wine vinegar stirred into the salad takes the edge of raw onions!
Herbs: Summer salads are always packed with fresh herbs. Fresh basil leaves are best herb for tomato basil salad. You can include a little bit of fresh mint leaves as well if you like.
How To Cut Tomatoes For Salad?
Cherry Tomatoes – Remove the stem and then cut in half from length wise. Depending on their size you can cut tomatoes into halves or cut it into quarters.
Feel free to mix different colors of tomatoes, red cherry tomatoes, yellow grape tomatoes.
There is no thumb rule on the size of tomatoes you need to have for tomato salad recipe. Any size of tomatoes will work.
Other Tomatoes – If using large tomatoes like roma tomatoes score the tomatoes and cut into half lengthwise. Cut each half into 8 lengthwise pieces. Cut each of those into halves.
Cherry Tomato Salad Recipe (Step-By-Step Pictorial)
Chop cherry tomatoes into halves.
Slice red onions.
Place chopped tomatoes, sliced red onions in a salad mixing bowl.
Drizzle with olive oil and red wine vinegar.
Season with crushed peppers and salt to taste.
Sprinkle fresh chopped basil leaves (I used a mix of mint and fresh basil leaves).
Gently toss everything together.
Let the salad sit at room temperature for about an hour before serving.
Serve the salad with grilled chicken or any grilled meat.
TRY OUR OTHER FAVORITE SUMMER TOMATO RECIPES:
Don’t forget to Subscribe to CurryTrail Recipes below to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
Best Summer Cherry Tomato Salad
- 2 pints fresh cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar good quality
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon fresh basil chopped fine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place chopped tomatoes, sliced red onions in a salad mixing bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Season with crushed peppers and salt to taste.
- Sprinkle fresh chopped basil leaves.
- Gently toss everything together.
- Let the salad sit at room temperature for about an hour before serving.
- Serve the salad with your favorite grilled meat.
- You can use a mix of tomatoes, red cherry tomatoes, yellow grape tomatoes.
- For herbs you any or a mix of – fresh basil leaves, fresh mint leaves, fresh oregano.
- Note: dried herbs will not do justice to the salad. Use only fresh herbs.