Homemade hot chocolate mix is not just a winter staple, but a perfect last-minute-simple-homemade-holiday-gift. It’s made with very few ingredients, this rich and tasty treat is perfect to hold on and sip during frosty cold weather.
Enjoy homemade hot chocolate mix as your favorite drink or give it away as a thoughtful Christmas gift, either ways you will feel happy. We insist you make a big batch of it. Because this is simply THE BEST HOMEMADE HOT CHOCOLATE MIX you’ll ever make. It’s written in bold and all caps, because it truly is the best!
And for some boozy Christmas cheer we are going to spike it with baileys! Here’s an idea (not original though, it’s all over Pinterest) – batch it up with a small baileys bottle to make the best homemade hot chocolate mix kit. With Christmas themed ribbons and decorations tied around it, you are sure to light up anyone’s eyes you gift this to. It’s a perfect heart-warming Christmas gifts.
Layers of deliciousness added to a gifting bottle, assembling in layers makes it look beautiful and your guests would be completely impressed with your effort. And the best part of homemade hot chocolate mix recipes is that you have flexibility to add whatever you want.
Simply adjust the amount of ingredients and spices to your personal taste. Like more sweetness, use semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of dark choco chips, or increase the amount of powdered sugar if you wish.
Like spices with your hot chocolate, add cinnamon powder or cayenne pepper to you drink. Homemade hot chocolate mix recipe gives you a free rein to make it however you want your hot chocolate drink to be.
Hot chocolate and Christmas go hand in hand. If you did not make hot chocolate during Christmas, you’re missing out a big deal.
Start of frosty cold weather gets us craving for hot drinks naturally. This perfect and easy hot cocoa recipe is instant mix recipe, you can make a cup of cocoa in a flash!
How to Make Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
Assemble ingredients for homemade hot chocolate mix in layers in pretty mason jar, with a gift tag and pretty ribbon or bow , you’ve got a thoughtful homemade Christmas gift that your friends and family would love.
Making homemade hot chocolate mix is easy to make and ready in minutes. This Instant cocoa mix makes you fix your cuppa cocoa in a flash. It’s warm, cozy, chocolatey, minty…delicious!
You’ll need, premium quality cocoa powder, instant dry milk powder, powdered sugar, to start off with the basic hot chocolate mix. Then you can add on anything you want to.
Start with instant dry milk powder. Add it into the mason jar and level it out into even layer.
Use premium quality ingredients. The world’s best hot chocolate is made with world’s finest cocoa powder, no doubts there. Cacao di Pernigotti is world’s best cocoa I know off and recommend you use that.
Pro-Tip : Always sift cocoa powder before measuring. This helps to remove an lumps and also make the layering look even and smooth.
Add the layer of cocoa powder and level that as well. This help make you layers even and look pretty as well.
Next add powdered sugar as third layer. Level it out. I prefer to add a generous pinch of kosher salt to the mix. Kosher salt gives you that salty-sweet balance.
This is your basic homemade hot chocolate mix. If you do not want to make homemade hot chocolate mix gifts, or don’t have time to assemble in layers, then add dry milk powder, cocoa powder and powdered sugar in large bowl whisk it all together.
This mix can be spooned into mason jars (either for gifting or for storing). Ensure lid of jar is good and is air tight.
For add ons –
You can choose a portion of dark choco chips (or semi-sweet choco chips if you prefer sweeter taste).
Top that with mini marshmallows.
And finally small portion of crushed peppermint candy.
That’s it! Hope you enjoy making this fun gift and we assure your guests will love it.
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe:
- Unsweetened Cocoa (Premium quality)
- Powdered Sugar
- Dry Milk Powder
- Kosher Salt
- Plus the add-ons like choco chips, mini marshmallows, peppermint candy..
Tips To Make Best Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- Use only premium quality organic cocoa powder.
- Sift cocoa powder before measuring. This helps remove all lumps from the powder.
- A touch of kosher salt makes the best balanced hot cocoa. The salty-sweet balance is amazing.
- Before use whisk or shake hot chocolate mix well for best results.
- To make the BEST CUP OF HOT COCOA – heat 1 cup milk or water. Pour into a cup with ¼ cup of homemade hot chocolate mix. Stir well. Top it off with mini marshmallows and peppermint candy.
- Add flavorings and spices if you like. Stir in a pinch of cayenne pepper or ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon powder to the hot chocolate mix to make warm, cozy drink.
- Make it adult hot cocoa with liqueurs. Liqueurs options to use – Baileys Irish cream, Kahlua, Amaretto or any other favorite liqueurs of your choice.
Variations for Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe
Mexican Hot Chocolate Cocoa Mix – to a cup of homemade basic hot chocolate mix recipe, add a tablespoon of cinnamon powder, ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper, and 1/3 teaspoon nutmeg powder. Stir everything well, stir this in hot milk.
Belgian Hot Chocolate – To hot milk stir in the hot chocolate mix, add 3 ounce dark Belgian milk chocolate and a dash of cinnamon powder.
Nutella Hot Chocolate – To the hot chocolate cup made with our basic homemade cocoa mix whisk generous amount of Nutella almond spread into it.
Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate – To hot milk whisk in hot chocolate mix, add in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and ¼ cup of peanut butter plus 3 ounce dark chocolate. Whisk well (do not boil) serve with whipped cream.
Peppermint Hot Chocolate – Using our basic hot chocolate mix make a cup of hot chocolate, stir in ¼ teaspoon pure mint extract. Serve it topped with fresh whipped cream, crushed peppermint candy or small peppermint candy cane, and a sprig of mint leaves on top.
Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate – Along with hot cocoa mix, add pumpkin spice powder, maple sugar. Stir this all in hot milk and serve with fresh whipped cream sprinkled with pumpkin spice and maple sugar over whipped cream.
Caramel Hot Chocolate – To make caramel hot chocolate, make a cup of hot chocolate with basic hot chocolate mix and caramel and whisk well ( To make richer caramel hot chocolate, mix in semi-sweet chocolate and dark chocolate together with caramel. Serve in a cup topped with whipped cream, drizzle rich caramel on top and sprinkle grated dark chocolate over it.
Those marshmallow art is inspired from Comakihl on instagram!
Looking for last-minute-Christmas-treat ?
Here you go –
Also how about trying this amazing Apple Cider Drink for Christmas Eve –
Don’t forget to Subscribe to CurryTrail Recipes below to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup premium quality cocoa powder
- ¾ cup dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Milk to hot water to serve
Optional Add Ons
- Dark Choco Chips
- Mini Marshmallows
- Crushed Peppermint candy
- Sift cocoa powder, milk powder and powdered sugar separately.
- Layer in milk powder, cocoa powder, powdered sugar into mason jars.
- Sprinkle in kosher salt.
- Add dark choco chips, mini marshmallows, crushed peppermint candy as toppings for gifting ideas.
- Cover with lid, add tags (preferably on instructions on how to mix hot chocolate printed on the tag), tie cute Christmas ribbon. Your Christmas gift is ready.
- To – serve : bring 1 cup of milk or water to simmer. Stir in ¼ cup hot chocolate mix and pour into cups. Serve with marshmallows and crushed peppermint candy. Or add in whipped cream and drizzle with chocolate over it. Serve immediately.