Idiyappam also known as string hoppers is a traditional famous South Indian recipe consisting of rice flour pressed into strings(noodles) using the tool called Idiyappam Ural*, these strings are steamed and served mostly as breakfast with coconut infused curry masala(egg curry, chicken curry or veg stew). It can also be served with fresh grated coconut and sugar.
*this is an affiliate link and I might get a commission if you buy the product through the link at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting CurryTrail!
Every time I go to Kerala, I make sure I eat these yummy Idiyappam. It’s so light and yet satisfying – I consider it as a whole some dish. I can eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner, or other time in between 😛 :).
I have made Idiyappam several times in my kitchen using rice flour and have also used ready bought idiyappam’s which are just to be steamed. I must admit there is nothing like “home made Idiyappam”. It’s almost instant dish and you can prepare it under 30 mins.
I use store bought idiyappam flour, you can make this flour at home too and store in air tight container. Or even plain rice flour from the stores works, trust me because I have tried it and it does turn out perfect!
Here’s the Step by step instructions to Idiyappam recipe-
Idiyapam flour – 1 cup
Boiling hot water – 1 1/4 cup + 2-3 tspns extra
Salt to taste
Oil – 3-4 tspns
Method of Preparation:-
1. In a wide bowl sieve Idiyappam Flour and keep aside.
2. Boil 1 1/2 cups of water. Allow the water to boil. Add salt to taste and 1 teaspoon of oil.
3. To the flour add boiling water and using a wooden ladle knead well to form a soft dough. If you find the dough is too dry add about 1 teaspoon of boiling water at a time and knead well.
4. Allow the dough to cool for 3-5 mins or until you can handle the heat, then oil your palm with and knead the dough well until it’s smooth and shiny for about 2-3 mins.
5. Grease the Idiyappam ural(idiyappam maker)with oil. Fix the attachment shown in the photo(3rd collage , 1st one), Fill this dough into an idiyappam press.
6. Steam these in a idli steamer for about 10-5 mins. Do not over cook the idiyappam, as they will turn rubbery.
7. Serve hot with egg curry or any stew of your choice or even sweetened coconut milk.
*This post contains affiliate link. I might get a commission if you buy the product through the link at no extra cost to you.