Ultimate Southern Fried Chicken
You guys, get ready for some serious indulgence. THE ULTIMATE Southern fried chicken here. This is simply the best fried chicken you’ll ever make!
Servings: 8 pieces
- 4 chicken drum sticks with skin on
- 4 chicken thighs with skin on
- 3 cups buttermilk
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
For the Brine
- 3 tablespoon pepper corns
- Couple of fresh thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 75 grams salt
- 100 grams brown sugar
- 400 ml of boiling hot water
- 400 ml room temperature water
For Flour Mix
- 200 grams plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon pepper
- Kosher salt – to sprinkle
- Fresh thyme leaves
- Lemon wedges
Into a large stainless steel pan, add crushed garlic, black pepper corns, bay leaves, fresh thyme, brown sugar, kosher salt. Add 2 cups of boiling hot water into the pan and stir until salt and sugar is dissolved. (if salt does not dissolve easily, you can place the pan on stove and heat it until salt is dissolved completely).
After salt is dissolved, add 2 cups more room temperature water. Keep it aside until it cools completely.
Score chicken pieces until the bones. Place chicken pieces in brine. Cover the top with grease proof paper or cling film.
Place it in fridge for 6-8 hours.
After brining chicken would be hydrated looking plumper. Remove chicken from the brine, shake off liquids and put it into zip lock bag.
Pour buttermilk into zip lock bags. Coat all chicken pieces well in buttermilk. The acidity in buttermilk will help tenderize chicken, and help with the flavors. Push air out off the bag and seal the chicken inside zip lock bag.
Place the butter milked chicken in fridge for another 8 hours.
Coating In Flour
Jamie’s secret spice mix is a mix of plain flour, baking powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix everything well.
Remove chicken from buttermilk. Shake off excess liquids and dip in directly in flour mix. Get your fingers in and coat the slit areas around.
Heat oil in deep bottomed pan to 350 degree F.
Place chicken in hot oil without overcrowding (fry them in batches) the pan. Toss and cook until golden brown on all sides just for few minutes.
Remove it on to a try baking tray. Arrange all fried chicken on baking tray in one layer. Grab a few thyme leaves; dip in excess oil in the tray and sprinkle all over the chicken for one final aromatic flavor hit.
Place the tray in pre heated oven at 325 degree F. Bake for 17 to 20 minutes.
Remove chicken from baking tray onto a wire mesh. Serve immediately with cabbage slaw and mashed potatoes.
It's best served as soon as it's fried. The longer southern fried chicken sits, it will turn soggy and loose it's crispiness.
Nutritional Info – Please keep in mind that nutritional information provided is only a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
- DON’T skip any step mentioned in the recipe. Brining, butter milking and coating with flour - each step adds to making the BEST fried chicken with perfect crispy outer crust and juiciest moist chicken inside!
- Score chicken pieces to ensure flavor is added both inside-out.
- We recommend you to use vegetable oil or other flavorless oil like canola or peanut oil for deep frying.
- Wait until oil is heated to 350 F before you start frying the chicken.
- Do not crowd the pan while deep frying the chicken.
Calories: 429kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 115mg | Sodium: 3979mg | Potassium: 523mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 470IU | Vitamin C: 0.7mg | Calcium: 175mg | Iron: 2.6mg