Christmas Crack Recipe
Ridiculously delicious Christmas crack recipe is made using saltine crackers that are covered in homemade toffee, melted chocolate finally topped with crunchy nuts or fun sprinkles.
Servings: 12 servings
- 1 sleeve saltine crackers about 35-40 of them (Ritz crackers are great. Graham cracked can be used too. I used other varieties of saltine crackers and works great)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 12 ounces dark chocolate chips or use 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
For Toppings: Use any one or a mix of toppings as you like
- 1 cup chopped nuts can use walnuts, pecans, almonds
- 1 cup holiday sprinkles
- 1 cup popcorn
- 1 cup M&M’s
- 1 cup crushed OREO
- 1 cup lightly crushed pretzel snack
Pre heat oven at 300°F. Line up 15” x 10” x 1” pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper or silicone mat.
Line up saltine crackers in single layer.
In a medium sauce pan heat butter and brown sugar with candy thermometer attached to it. Bring it to boil on medium low heat with constant stirring. Once thermometer reads 270° to 290° remove pan immediately from stove. Pour it over lined up saltines.Note: if you don’t have candy thermometer, bring to a boil over on medium heat and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
Remove toffee mix immediately from stove and instantly pour it over saltines. Spread evenly with spatula.
Pop the baking pan in oven and bake for 5 minutes. If using candy thermometer it should read 300°F
While toffee layer bakes in oven melt chocolate and keep it ready.
Melt dark chocolate bark (chopped) in microwave at 50% heat just about melted. Stir until chocolate is smooth and melted completely.Note: use semi sweet chocolate chips in place of dark chocolate bark.
Remove the pan from oven. Let toffee sit for 1 minutes before you add chocolate. Pour melted chocolate over hot toffee layer. Spread evenly using spatula.
If using chocolate chips, soon as baking pan is out of oven scatter chocolate chips on hot toffee layer. Wait for a minute or 2. The heat will melt the chocolate chips. Spread chocolate layer evenly on toffee layer.Tip: if chocolate chip does not melt, pop the pan in oven for 2 minutes at 300°F. Then spread the chocolate layer. You can leave the crack candy plain or top with your favorite toppings. Use can use chopped nuts; chocolate chips, melted chocolate drizzle, and crushed OREO, crushed pretzels, sprinkles, toasted coconut flakes.Pro-Tip: if you prefer to add topping, add toppings press using a spatula into still-warm-wet chocolate.
Allow the candy toffee to set completely. The crackers will stick and form a single sheet.
Break into pieces using fingers or use knife to cut equal sized squares.
Nutritional Info – Please keep in mind that nutritional information provided is only a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
- Use aluminium foil or parchment paper to line baking pan. It makes easy to get the crack out from the pan(it’s too hard to work with toffee that gets stuck to pan). Easy to clean up too.
- It’s best to use candy thermometer while making toffee. Wait until thermometer reading is 270° to 290°. Then pour it on saltines. If you do not have thermometer, bring butter brown sugar to boil oven, and cook on medium heat for 3 minutes.
- You’ll want the toffee to sit for 1 minute before adding in melted chocolate or choco chips. Chocolate should be added while toffee is still warm. Chocolate layer may split if toffee is not warm.
- If scattering chocolate on top(instead of using melted chocolate) allow chocolate to warm up from the heat of the toffee toppings. Gently spread with spatula.
- Your oven temperature matter with chocolate. If oven is too hot the chocolate chips will seize, it won’t melt but burn.
- Be gentle while spreading chocolate. You do not want to shift the crackers while spreading.
- Make sure to cool crack completely. Sometimes if not cooled crack may be chewy instead of crunchy.
Calories: 771kcal | Carbohydrates: 86g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 45g | Saturated Fat: 23g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 332mg | Potassium: 371mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 57g | Vitamin A: 512IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 149mg | Iron: 3mg