📋 RECIPE: Green Bean Casserole from Scratch
Green bean casserole made from scratch gives this side dish the best taste. With cream of mushroom and crispy fried onions on top this popular side dish packs a punch of flavors. Even your kids will beg for more!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 lb fresh French green beans (cut green beans into half so it's small and easy to handle)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 white onion sliced thin
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 ½ cup French’s fried onions
Make crispy fried onions before you start with the casserole recipe. Click here to get instructions on how to make crispy fried onions.
Blanch green beans:
Rinse fresh green beans, trim off the edges and blanch green beans. To blanch green beans, bring a pot of water to boil, add 1 to 2 teaspoon salt.
Add trimmed green beans to boiling water; blanch them for 8 to 12 minutes depending on the texture you prefer.
To keep green beans crunchy, blanch it al-dente about 6 to 8 minutes. To cook beans until soft and fork tender blanch for 10 to 12 minutes. Taste test to check doneness of beans.
Remove blanched beans from boiling water and immerse immediately into ice bath to stop the cooking process. Wait for 2 minutes, drain blanched beans and set aside.
Make creamy gravy:
Melt butter in oven safe skillet. Sauté sliced onions until soft. Add sliced mushrooms and cook on medium heat.
Season with salt and pepper to taste and grate nutmeg into it.
Add garlic and stir it well. Cook for few seconds. Sprinkle all-purpose flour on top, flour will soak up all the moisture released from mushrooms. Keep stirring continuously and cook for 1 minute.
Pour chicken stock, stir then add half-and-half and cook on medium low heat until creamy gravy thickens.
Bake at pre-heated oven at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until warmed through and gravy is bubbling.
Remove from oven, sprinkle rest of the crispy onions and continue to bake for another 5 minutes.
Serve: Always serve green bean casserole immediately hot! It pairs well with almost any dish, grilled or baked meat especially with turkey it tastes the best!
Nutrition estimates are for 1 serving as side dish.
Nutritional Info – Please keep in mind that nutritional information provided is only a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
- Using fresh real ingredients does a great deal of difference to the casserole. It tastes wonderful and texture is amazing too.
- Homemade creamy gravy to cook the green beans is better than canned cream of mushroom soup if you ask me. It’s not sodium loaded and you get to adjust the taste and seasoning per your choice.
- Always blanch or steam green beans before using it. You can blanch beans to your desired taste, keep it crunchy or cook it all the way until fork tender.
- You can increase the amount of pepper mentioned in the recipe to give extra kick to the casserole dish.
- Once cooked always serve casserole immediately while it’s still hot. It tastes better hot.
Calories: 238kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 619mg | Potassium: 409mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 783IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 1mg