Pesto eggs are my new favorite breakfast trend. Essentially, replace butter or oil used to fry your eggs with pesto. Sunny side up eggs are gently fried in fresh basil pesto and served on avocado toast!
Servings: 2 servings
- 2 tablespoon fresh basil pesto
- 2 eggs farm fresh organic
- Salt pepper, red chili flakes to taste
- 1 avocado
- 2 slices sourdough bread or any bread toast
Spread couple of tablespoon of fresh basil pesto on non-stick skillet (note- pesto should have enough or loads of oil in it). Heat it on low flame.
Do not over heat pesto.
When oil in pesto is hot and pesto is shimmery crack two eggs into the pesto.
Season the eggs with salt, pepper and red chili flakes(optional).
Cook eggs for 3 to 5 minutes on medium-low heat until egg whites are set and no longer translucent. Cook eggs to your desired doneness.Note: do not turn up the heat, pesto will burn on high heat. Maintain low heat throughout.
While eggs are cooking, prepare the toast.
Use sourdough bread slices or regular bread slices. Toast slices if you like.
Make toast the way you liked it. Best options for toast are ripe avocado smashed, fresh mozzarella or ricotta cheese or goat cheese to spread on the toast.
Remove pesto eggs from the pan and place them on the toast.
Optional – sprinkle extra red chilies for taste.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Nutritional Info – Please keep in mind that nutritional information provided is only a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
- Use fresh homemade basil pesto, it makes a lot of difference.
- Use non-stick wide skillet to cook pesto eggs.
- Warm pesto, don’t over-cook pesto. Pesto will burn.
- Cook eggs on medium-low heat. Do not turn up the heat, pesto will burn on high heat. Maintain low heat throughout.
- For sunny side up eggs, cook eggs for 3-5 minutes on medium-low heat until the white are set and no longer translucent.
Calories: 467kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 165mg | Sodium: 538mg | Potassium: 630mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 687IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 4mg