Old Fashioned Creamed Peas
This old fashioned creamed peas is easy, quick and delicious side dish that will ever make. Even fussy eaters wouldn’t mind eating it. Frozen peas cooked and dunked in white cream sauce comes together in no time! A perfect holiday side dish!
Servings: 6 servings
- 16 oz frozen peas about 2 cups
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup whole milk or half and half
- ½ teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper adjust to taste
How To Cook Peas:
Creamed peas recipe begins with cooking frozen peas. Cook peas as per packet instructions.
Stove Top Method:
I prefer this easy method to cook peas. No need to thaw peas, use them frozen directly.Add frozen peas to a sauce pan. Add little more than ¼ cup water. Cook on medium flame. Frozen peas don’t take long to cook. It took about 5 minutes for peas to be ready.
Place frozen peas in microwave safe bowl. Add 1 tablespoon water. Cook on full power for 3 to 4 minutes.Peas are ready to use.
You can skip cooking peas and use it directly in the recipe. Simply thaw peas in 4 cups of water. Drain and use it.
Empty peas from can including the liquid into a saucepan. Heat it until it begins to boil. Drain and peas are ready to use.
Once peas are cooked remove it from heat. Drain off any excess liquids left in the pan. Transfer to a bowl.
How To Make White Cream Sauce:
Heat a medium pot or skillet (depending on the quantity you are making). Add butter to pot and melt it.
Whisk flour in butter. Cook on low heat for 2 minutes with constant stirring.
Add all the spices quickly– onion powder, garlic powder, salt and ground pepper.
Gently pour milk (or half n half) into the pot.
Keep whisking while adding milk.
Cook with constant whisking on low heat for about 5 minutes or until sauce is smooth.
Sauce should be thick but in pouring consistency.
Once cream sauce is cooked and ready, immediately pour it over hot peas.
Stir everything together until coated well.
Nutritional Info – Please keep in mind that nutritional information provided is only a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
- Use frozen or canned peas for this recipe. Highly advisable to cook peas (frozen or canned) for briefly 2 to 4 minutes. Peas are softer and better tasting when cooked than using it directly thawed.
- Onion powder and garlic powder are optional in the recipe but highly recommended. It enhances flavor and taste of the dish.
- It’s best to use whole milk or half and half for rich, creamier white sauce. Cream sauce needs the fat. Everything tastes better with fat!
- You can add other vegetables to creamed peas dish. Vegetables like potatoes, carrots, mushrooms are best choices.
Calories: 804kcal | Carbohydrates: 97g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 84mg | Sodium: 1492mg | Potassium: 1455mg | Fiber: 24g | Sugar: 42g | Vitamin A: 4553IU | Vitamin C: 181mg | Calcium: 392mg | Iron: 7mg