Birthday Cake Pancakes (Funfetti Pancakes)
Light, fluffy and loaded with sprinkles, these birthday cake pancakes are great for birthday celebrations or other celebrations. Instead of baking cakes you can surprise your kids with these birthday pancakes loaded with sprinkles!
Servings: 14 pancakes
- 1 cup pancake mix
- 1 cup yellow cake mix
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 3 to 4 tablespoon sprinkles colored jimmies
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 ¼ cup milk plus extra as needed to adjust batter consistency
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
Vanilla Glaze –
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup whipping cream
For Topping –
- Whipping cream or cool whip
This funfetti cake pancake batter is super easy to make and comes together real fast. This recipe uses box mixes – both pancake box mixes and yellow cake mix. You can definitely make your own homemade pancake and cake mix and use that instead of box mix as well.
Add 1 tablespoon of plain flour into sprinkles. Mix and set aside until use.
To Make Pancake Batter –
In a medium bowl mix dry ingredients pancake mix, yellow cake mix and set aside.
In another bowl whisk together wet ingredients - 2 eggs, milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract. Whisk together until smooth.
Add the dry mix into the bowl of wet mix. Do NOT OVER MIX. It’s okay to if batter has small lumps. They will disappear once you cook it.
Cook Pancakes –
When you are ready to make pancakes, add sprinkles to the batter and stir very gently making sure you don’t over mix.
On a hot griddle ladle out ¼ cup of pancake batter. If you have large griddle pour two or three pancakes on the griddle. Cook on medium low flame.
Once the cakes begins to bubble it’s time to flip.
Carefully flip the pancakes and cook on other side on medium flame.
Remove from griddle and serve immediately with vanilla glaze and whipped cream
These are great to make ahead and freeze. Wrap individual pancakes in cling film, place in zip lock bags or air tight containers and freeze it.
When you don’t have time to cook up a batch on busy mornings, simply remove it from freezer, reheat and serve.
To Make Whipped Cream –
Whisk chilled heavy whipping cream using hand beater until stiff peaks are formed. Transfer to piping bags fitted with star nozzle.
Serve funfetti pancakes with vanilla glaze, whipped cream on top and sprinkles.
- For FLUFFY pancakes, do NOT over mix the batter. Pancake batter can have few lumps and they will disappear when cooked.
- Rest pancake batter before cooking for few minutes. Resting will help make soft pancakes. Note – do not add jimmies or sprinkles at this point. Add it after resting time when ready to cook.
- Over mixing will take away the beautiful soft texture of pancakes. Nobody wants tough/hard pancakes. Once flour comes together with wet ingredients, STOP MIXING, even if you see lumps.
- Use heavy pan like cast iron griddle to cook pancakes, so pancakes won’t stick.
- Griddle should be hot enough before you start cooking. Preheat griddle when pancake batter is resting. If griddle is too hot, pancakes will burn from outside, under-cooked inside. If griddle it not hot enough, pancakes will take longer to cook and will turn hard.
- Spray or grease pan with very little cooking oil or butter, to help release pancakes easily. Remember pancakes will absorb the oil or butter, use little.
- Use good quality sprinkles so the colors don’t run into the batter. Another great tip is to fold sprinkles with little flour first before mixing into the batter.
- Once you fold in sprinkles into the batter, cook pancakes immediately.
- It’s important to know when you should flip pancakes. Once the edges start to cook and you see couple of bubbles at the center, carefully flip. It takes lesser time to cook the top side than bottom side.
- Flipping is done only ONCE. So wait before you flip. Flip only after bottom side is cooked.
- Do NOT press down the pancakes. You want them to be soft and fluffy!
- For homemade pancake mix – use 1 cup all purpose flour add 2 teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, ¼ teaspoon salt.
Calories: 222kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 192mg | Potassium: 70mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 217IU | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 1mg