Savory Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Savory roasted sweet potatoes are totally comforting and satisfy your savory cravings when weather turns cold. It’s one of the easiest, delicious and healthiest side dish that you can make and pair with any meal.
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 2 inch cubes
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon chili powder use cayenne for substitutions
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
To peel or not to peel skin off potatoes depends on personal preference. Of you decide to peel, scrub potatoes and rinse it well under tap water. Peel the skin off. Trim the edges.
Cut potatoes into half lengthwise.
Cut each half into 3 to 4 long wedges.Note: if you plan to make roasted sweet potato wedges, you can cut into thin wedges length wise and then cut them in the middle so your wedges are finger length size.
Cut equal sized cubes. Make sure they are all even size for uniform cooking. Cut them as small as ½ inch cubes to as chunky as 2 inch cubes. You choose!
Transfer cut potatoes onto a baking sheet.
Drizzle generous amount of olive oil over the potatoes.
Add in all the spices along with salt and ground pepper.
Mix well to coat even.Jo’s Tip: Use your finger to mix in the spices into the potatoes. It ensures each potato piece is evenly coated.
Arrange it in a single layer.
Roast in pre-heated oven at 425 degree Fahrenheit for 45 – 55 minutes, tossing the sweet potatoes every 10 -15 minutes to prevent it from burning and to get even cook and caramelization on every piece.
Remove from oven. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Serve immediately with your favorite dish.
Note – if you overcrowd potatoes on baking sheet, potatoes will steam cook instead of roast. You won’t get caramelized crispy edges.
- Pick good orange red skinned potatoes. Look for smooth skin on the sweet potatoes with no soft spots. Potatoes should be firm with no discoloration on the skin or any growth on it.
- To peel the skin off or not to peel is personal preference. Of course potato skin is edible and has lot of nutrients in it. But I recommend peeling skin for roasting as it ensures better texture and flavor.
- Make sure to cut potatoes into even size so it cooks and caramelizes evenly. The size you want to cut is personal choice. Cut smaller cubes of ½ inch or bigger chunks of 2 inch. Up to you.
- Use large baking tray to roast potatoes. Spread potatoes evenly and in single layer on baking sheet for even cooking. Don’t over crowd the baking sheet.
Nutritional Info – Please keep in mind that nutritional information provided is only a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
- Consider broil for 3 to 5 minutes for extra crispy golden brown potatoes. It’s optional step.
- Different potatoes cook at different time. Roasting time also depends on how small or big your cut sweet potatoes. Smaller cubes will roast faster and bigger cubes will take longer. It’s important to keep constant check on sweet potatoes while roasting. Use mentioned time for general guidance.
- To have stronger flavor and make sweet potatoes even spicier increase the amount of chili powder used by ¼ to ½ teaspoon more than the mentioned values.
- Don’t skip on smoked paprika for smoky flavor.
Calories: 183kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 356mg | Potassium: 387mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 16163IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 1mg