📋 RECIPE: Coconut Shrimp
Coconut shrimp is that easy appetizer that is finger licking good. Golden brown light flaky coconut crust on the outer is so crispy and the shrimp inside is so tender; you’ll fall instantly in love with this quick and easy to make finger food.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 lb large shrimp peeled de veined with tails on
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil for frying
Bowl 1 - mix flour, garlic powder, salt n pepper to taste and smoked paprika together.
Bowl 2 - whisk two eggs.
Bowl 3 - mix together unsweetened shredded coconut and Panko bread crumbs.
It’s crucial to have shrimps cleaned, de veined and pat dried ready before you start. Any moisture content in shrimp will cause oil spluttering all over your kitchen when fried.
First coat shrimps in flour-spices mix. Then coat in beaten eggs. Finally coat in coconut-panko bread crumbs mix. Place breaded shrimps on to tray. Repeat breading process for rest of the remaining shrimps.
Heat up oil in wide shallow pan. Once oil temperature reaches between 350 -375 degrees Fahrenheit. Carefully transfer breaded shrimps into hot oil. Do not over crowd the pan. Fry few shrimps at a time, and you’ll have to fry couple of batches.
Once shrimps turn golden brown, remove from oil onto a tray lined with kitchen towel.
Serve immediately hot with your favorite dipping sauce.
Nutritional Info – Please keep in mind that nutritional information provided is only a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
- Fresh shrimp works best rather than frozen shrimps. Leave the tail on while cleaning shrimps. Though this is optional, it makes it easier to bread shrimp. Easy to handle while eating too.
- Jumbo shrimp or large sized prawns are best for the recipe.
- Pat dry shrimps well before coating it in flour, egg, coconut mix. Any moisture in the shrimp will cause oil to splutter all over.
- Unsweetened shredded coconut gives a nice savory touch to these fried shrimps. Sweetened shredded coconut gives a nice tropical touch to it. Pick which you would love.
- Wait till oil is heated to 350 to 375 degree Fahrenheit. Fry in small batches. Do not over crowd the pan. Shrimps won’t crisp up evenly.
Calories: 297kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 245mg | Sodium: 654mg | Potassium: 230mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 202IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 133mg | Iron: 3mg