📋 RECIPE: How To Make Your Own Pumpkin Puree
Making your own pumpkin puree is so easy, inexpensive and it’s full of fresh delicate pumpkin flavors and tastes so much better. You’ll never go for canned puree anymore.
Servings: 3 cups
- 1 3 pound ripe pumpkin pie pumpkin variety or Muscat pumpkin
Wipe pumpkin with paper towel. Remove the stem.
Pre-heat oven at 400 F.
Cut pumpkin into half, scrape the seeds (don’t discard seeds, roast seeds in oven and use it as snack or as salad topping) using sturdy spoon.
Place halved pumpkin on baking tray lined with aluminum foil (or silicon mat).
Roast your pumpkin in pre-heated oven at 400 F for about 40 to 60 minutes depending on the side of the pumpkin you use.Note - Time to roast pumpkin largely depends on your pumpkin size. Adjust the time according to the size.
Start with 40 minutes. Check if a fork easily pierces the pumpkin skin. You’ll also notice the outer pumpkin skin blistered and separating from the flesh. This indicates pumpkin is perfectly roasted.
Allow roasted pumpkin to cool so you can handle it. Peel off the skin or turn over pumpkin and scoop out all the fresh from the outer skin. If pumpkin is perfectly roasted, flesh would come off easily.
Once pumpkin skin is removed, add roasted pumpkin into food processor and blitz it. Once pumpkin puree is smooth, remove from food processor and store in clean dry jars in fridge or in zip lock bags. You can freeze it for longer storage.
Nutritional Info – Please keep in mind that nutritional information provided is only a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
- To pick the right pumpkin, check if it's ripe. It should have uniform orange color, it's stem should be hard and pick pumpkins with long stem.
- Pie pumpkin variety are great choice, but you can use any yellow pumpkin to make puree at home.
- Roasting time for pumpkin largely depends on your pumpkin size. Adjust the time according to the size.
- Don't discard the seeds. Clean it by removing the yellow strings thing, roast in oven (plain, salt or with any other seasoning) and use it as snacks or as salad toppers.
Calories: 1kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 1mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 28IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 1mg | Iron: 1mg