Homemade Schezwan Sauce (Szechuan)
Homemade Schezwan sauce (Szechuan) is ‘extremely spicy’ but ‘extremely tasty’ sauce that you should be making at home right away. This chili sauce recipe is one of those sauces you should definitely try making at home.
Servings: 1 cup
- 20 number dried red chilies 10 spicy hot red chilies and 10 mildly spiced ones like kashmiri or byadagi , for color
- 15 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 inch ginger finely chopped
- 4 tablespoon shallot finely chopped
- ½ cup sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground schezwan pepper corns
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- 4 tablespoon sugar brown sugar
Soak dried red chilies in warm water for about an hour. Then grind it into a smooth paste. If you want you can remove the seeds from the chilies
Heat sesame oil in a pan. Add finely chopped ginger and garlic. Saute for a 40 seconds on low flame or until raw smell vanishes.
Add finely chopped shallots and cook for about 3 minutes.
Now add ground chili paste and cook until oil separates from the sides of the pan.
Add salt, ground schezwan pepper corn , white wine vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, sugar. Mix and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
Turnoff flame and let it cool completely. Store in air tight container refrigerated. This sauce stays good for few weeks(2-3 weeks) refrigerated.
Use this Schezwan sauce in Schezwan noodles or fried rice recipe. Or serve it as dipping sauce with chicken nuggets.
Nutrition value mentioned is for 1 cup (approximately 8 oz size cup measurement)
Nutritional Info – Please keep in mind that nutritional information provided is only a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
- The spiciness of this sauce widely depends on the variety of dried chilies that you use. Some variety of chilies are super hot, handle with caution.
- The reason I have used two different variety of chilies is to add vibrant color and good amount of heat to the sauce.
- If you can't find two variety of dried chilies, use one whichever is available to you.
- Taste sauce first ( tiny morsel of it maybe) to judge on the quantity of the sauce you want to use in your stir fry or other recipes.
- Sauce can be used in stir fry recipes, can be used as dipping sauce for dimsum and spring rolls or drizzled over tofu and served.
Calories: 1325kcal | Carbohydrates: 88g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 110g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Sodium: 2982mg | Potassium: 639mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 59g | Vitamin A: 802IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 141mg | Iron: 3mg