📋RECIPE: Crispy Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Crispy oven baked sweet potato fries are healthy alternative to your regular potato fries. Crispy crunchy outside, delicious soft melt-in-your-mouth inside. These baked fries are too good to resist! Baked = less/no damage to your waistline. Recipe can be easily doubled and trust me you won’t have any left overs.
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoon corn starch or arrow root powder
- 3 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup canola oil or ghee or grape seed oil
- Fine sea salt – a big fat pinch
Scrub sweet potatoes with brush to remove any dirt. Wash well and pat dry. We left the skin on sweet potatoes, but you can peel the skin off if you like it that way. Cut them into ½ inch thick about 3 inch long or 6 inch long fingers.
Soak in ice cold water for about 45 minutes. This removes excess starch from sweet potatoes. Then drain water, pat dry completely.
Sprinkle corn starch or arrow root powder. Coat well and evenly. Shake off any excess corn starch coating on the fries.
Season with chili powder and pour oil. Mix well to get even coating of the seasoning all over the fries.
Line it up in greased baking tray in a single layer.
Bake in preheated oven at 400 F for about 15 minutes. Remove the tray from oven. Flip all fries once. Rotate the baking tray(for even cooking) and place back into the oven and continue to bake for another 25 minutes.
Once baking time is done, do not remove the fries immediately from the oven. Prop the oven door half open and leave the fries inside the oven for about 10 minutes. As fries cool, they turn ultra crispy!
Transfer the fries to a large bowl and toss them with a fat pinch of sea salt.
Serve baked potato fries with an magnanimous dip.
Nutritional Info – Please keep in mind that nutritional information provided is only a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
- Soak cut raw potato fries in ice cold bath for 30 minutes, this removes excess starch from surface.
- A thin coating of corn starch or potato starch is important. Shake off excess coating before you bake.
- Don’t use olive oil, olive oil starts to smoke pretty fast even before the fries are done in the oven. Ghee, canola oil, grape seed oil crisps up the fries better.
- Place these in single layer before baking. Flip the fries half way for even cooking.
- Do not add salt before baking. Always add salt to the fries once they come out of the oven.
- Once baking time is done, do not remove the fries immediately from the oven. Prop the oven door half open and leave the fries inside the oven for about 10 minutes. As fries cool, they turn ultra crispy!
Serving: 0g | Calories: 252kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 153mg | Potassium: 463mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 15610IU | Vitamin C: 2.3mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1.7mg