📋Refreshing Watermelon Feta Salad
Salty sweet and refreshing watermelon feta salad iswhat you should be serving for every backyard BBQ party or picnic. Cubes of watermelon tossed with fresh basil leaves and crumbled feta is perfect summer salad. It’s colourful, healthy and easy to make.
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 lb watermelon seedless, chilled
- 8 oz FETA cheese crumbled – sheep’s milk feta
- ¾ cup fresh basil chopped
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lime juice
- Salt to taste I added about 1 ½ teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Cut out rind from watermelon. Chop the fruit into 1 inch cubes. Seedless watermelon works best for this salad. If you cannot find seedless watermelon, buy watermelon with seeds and while cutting them into cubes, remove the seeds from it. Remember this is going to be tedious job – removing seeds from watermelon.
In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, lime juice extracted from fresh lime, salt, pepper. This is the dressing for the salad.
In a large bowl combine watermelon cubes, crumbled feta and basil leaves. Toss gently until ingredients are combined well. Transfer to serving bowl. Sprinkle few basil leaves on top.
Drizzle the dressing over the salad. Stir gently to integrate the cheese, dressing into the salad.
Nutritional Info – Please keep in mind that nutritional information provided is only a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
- Use seedless watermelon. It makes eating easy. You don’t have to worry about removing seeds while cutting the fruit (which by the way is a tedious job). Not a pleasant experience biting into a seed while eating your salad.
- Always use chilled watermelon for watermelon and feta salad.
- Try to find goat or sheep’s milk feta that is available in big blocks or chunks. Block feta is so much better than crumbled feta.
- You can easily swap fresh basil with fresh mint in this salad.
- Watermelon and feta salad are best when served chilled. It’s a great make-ahead salad, but don’t let the salad sit in the fridge for many hours. Make it just an hour or two before serving.
- And don't miss out on the simple dressing. Dressing for watermelon feta salad is made of good quality olive oil, lime juice, salt, and ground pepper.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 423kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 637mg | Potassium: 463mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 2430IU | Vitamin C: 38.1mg | Calcium: 322mg | Iron: 1.7mg