Butter Murukku Recipe
Butter Murukku Recipe is easiest murukku recipe with buttery and almost melts in mouth. Murukku is actually a tasty, crunchy, savory snack made of rice flour. One of the most popular snack made during any Indian festival and it tastes great with tea. Word of caution - these are super addictive!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 30 medium sized murukku
- 2 cups rice flour home made
- ¼ cup roasted Bengal gram flour
- 2 ½ tablespoon softened butter
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon crushed pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Oil for deep frying
1. I made rice flour at home. To make rice flour, soaked raw rice in water for about 3 hours. Then drain all the water from the rice and spread it on cotton cloth and dry it indoors for 30 minutes. Then grind the rice into fine powder, sieve and collect the fine powdered rice. Repeat for rest of the rice. Keep the ground rice flour covered and use it the same day.
2. Grind roasted Bengal gram(pottu kadalai) into fine powder.
3. Into a bowl, sieve rice flour and roasted Bengal gram flour together.
4. Add softened butter, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, crushed pepper, salt and mix to form bread crumbs like consistency. Add water little at a time and make a soft and stiff dough. Keep the dough covered and away from stove, else the dough will turn too dry.
5. Heat oil in a wide pan. While oil is heating , fill the press with murukku mix.. I used single hole star in the murukku press.
6. Squeeze out the murukku over a greased ladle and drop them gently into the hot oil. ( or you can also directly press into oil ). Once you drop the murukku, turn flame to medium. Wait until the murukku release the ladle by itself(if you find that murukku is not leaving the spotted ladle, you can gently push the murukku using another ladle after it’s cooked on one side, mine released by itself).
7. Fry them in oil until golden brown on both side. You will notice that the bubbles in the oil is reduced and the “isshh” sound stops , that indicate murukku is down. Remove from oil and place it on kitchen towel to absorb excess oil.
8. Once it completely cools, store in air tight container and enjoy them for longer time.
Calories: 1686kcal | Carbohydrates: 287g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 45g | Saturated Fat: 24g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 7265mg | Potassium: 641mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 950IU | Calcium: 202mg | Iron: 7.7mg