Instant Pot Chicken Stew
Super easy, quick, one-dish meal is what this Instant pot chicken stew recipe is all about. Loaded with vegetables along with hearty potatoes its a perfect meal that can be made in instant pot or stove top.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1.5 lb chicken preferably with skin on (about 5-6 pieces, thighs and leg pieces are best)
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 to matoes chopped
- 1 lb baby potatoes halved
- 3 carrots cut into ½ inch pieces
- 3 celery stalks cut into chunks
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- Few sprigs of rosemary
- ¼ cup white wine optional
- 2 teaspoon Worscestershire sauce
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup flour for gluten free option use – corn starch, rice flour or arrow root flour
1. Add chicken pieces (thighs and legs with skin on) into the pot along with onions, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, celery stalks, garlic, salt and pepper, bay leaf, rosemary leaves, worscestershire sauce and little chicken stock or water into the pot.
2. Put the lid on and make sure the pressure valve is in sealing position. Use manual setting and adjust timer to 10 minutes. Remember instant pot will take time to build pressure, about 20 minutes. Only after that the cooking timer will start.
3. Once cooking time is over, allow instant pot to sit for 10 minutes (Natural pressure release).
4. Turn pressure valve to venting position to release any pressure left in the pot.
5. Open the lid.
6. Stir in red wine vinegar. In a small bowl whisk flour with water. Pour into the pot.
7. Select saute setting and let stew simmer for 3-4 minutes more or until it thickens. Remember chicken stew will thicken as it cools down.
8. Garnish with fresh thyme and serve it with crusty warm bread.
Nutritional Info - Please keep in mind that nutritional information provided is only a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
- If you don't like even a tiny weeny bit of fat in your stew, use skinless chicken in the recipe. Also remove any extra fat in the stock before adding .
- Before serving shred chicken well.
- To make it even more easier, use boneless chicken so shredding is less work. But note, chicken with bones adds more flavor to the stew.
- Use any vegetables of your choice. Feel free to adjust the spices and seasoning as per your taste preference.
- This stew can be frozen. Use freezer friendly zip lock bags or air tight containers to freeze. Can be stored in freezer for 2 to 3 months.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 272kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 204mg | Potassium: 787mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 5520IU | Vitamin C: 27.1mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1.9mg