A delicious South Indian dosa recipe. With minimal preparation you can have Tomato Dosa ready in no time, without waiting for the batter to ferment!
Breakfast is the most important part of your daily meal…. it literally means Break – The – Fast….. It is most important to have a sumptuous breakfast to stay fit and healthy and also to avoid unnecessary health issues.
When we talk about instant breakfast, instant dosa is one think that crosses our mind. If you are a stay at home mom, working mom, working woman, college going girl, no matter who you are, instant dosas will get you through a busy morning.
Dosas are a high protein breakfast option that has all the requisite nutrients to start your day, however making the batter ahead of time is not always possible given our busy schedules these days.
Don’t let your busy morning to let breakfast fall low on your list when you have easy options of making something quick and something healthy too. Tomato dosa is one such breakfast that will come handy during those morning rush. Soak rice and lentil (Urad dal) separately for 4 hours(or maybe even over night) and next day morning grind until smooth. Finally add some tomatoes grind for some more time until all tomatoes are ground well. That’s it, you instant tomato dosa batter is ready. No need to wait for fermentation. Make dosa, smear some red chutney, roll it up and eat it on the go if you have to rush.
- 1 cup raw rice
- 1/4 cup urad dal
- 3 tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp cooking soda
- water as required
- oil or ghee to cook dosa
- Rinse raw rice and urad dal separately. Soak them separately in enough water for minimum 3 to 4 hours. You could also soak them over night.
- Next morning, grind both rice and urad dal together with little water until it forms a smooth batter. Add roughly chopped tomatoes and grind for few more minutes till all tomatoes are ground well.
- Pour batter into a bowl. Add salt to taste and mix well. Add cooking soda and mix again. Leave it for 10 minutes.
- Heat a non stick tawa. Pour a ladle full of batter and spread it into round dosa shape. You can spread it thin or leave it a little thick.
- Dribble a few drops of oil or ghee on the sides. Cover it with a pan and let it cook on low flame.
- Once the sides of the dosa starts to brown and release from the pan, gently remove dosa from tawa. Repeat the same with rest of the batter.
- Serve dosa immediately hot with coconut chutney, spicy onion-tomato chutney or even chutney powder.