Come summer, the road side vendors fill up their carts with irresistible fresh Taati Nungu aka Toddy Palm seeds. The contents of the palm fruit are a favorite summer delight! Canned palm seeds available in supermarket, to me are totally unappetizing! If you have a chance to eat these fresh ones, you will understand what i’m talking about!
Few months back I made tender coconut ice cream at home and I was so happy I tried to create a ice cream from fresh tender coconut flesh! The entire family loved it and I was super excited to serve it to my family. After receiving all the appreciation for tender coconut ice cream, I wanted to experiment more. When Summer arrived and I first spotted these tender, jelly like delicious palm seeds I instantly thought I must try to make ice cream out of this summer delight fruit/seed. Super excited with the unique idea I started preparing for it. With no recipe in hand, I just went ahead and made this ice cream like I made other ice creams. The taste, the texture of this ice cream was out standing. It does look a lot like vanilla ice cream, but when you take your first mouth your mind tries to look for something that is unique in the ice cream. When you present it to your guests you can let them do the guessing game and try to figure out what flavor of ice cream they are eating! So much fun! 😀
I’ve teamed up with Dolphia , Anjana , Subhasmitha, Sujatha, Garima and Maddhuri in doing a themed post every month.This month the unanimous choice was ‘ice cream’ and this is my contribution towards this theme. Do hop on to the other divas blog space to find out what they are having.
Here’s home made taati nungu ice cream recipe –
Toddy Palm seeds/Nungu – 10 nos or 1 cup(chopped) + 4 tbspbs
Powdered sugar – ½ cup
Chilled Fresh cream – ¾ cup(I used amul)
Chilled Full fat milk – 1 cup(it’s important to use full fat milk, with low fat the ice cream won’t come out well and won’t taste good at all)
Vanilla extract – ⅛ tspn
Method of preparation:-
1. Clean and wash toddy palm seeds. Chop them into pieces and blend into smooth paste without adding water.
2. Add full cream, milk to a wide bowl and mix well. Add sugar, mix.
3. Add palm seeds paste and mix until well combined and no lumps remain. Add vanilla extract and whisk again.
4. Pour the mixture into an air tight container or aluminum tray, cover with an aluminum foil and put in the freezer for atleast 8 to 10 hours.
5. After it is fully set, remove it from the freezer and immediately beat in a hand beater till the ice crystals are broken down. The mixture after blending should be thick and slushy and not watery.
6. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add the remaining 4 tbspns of finely chopped palm seeds and mix lightly. I’d like a little added texture in my ice cream with the palm seed pieces. This step can be avoided if you want a smooth ice cream with out any pieces.
7. Pour the mixture again into an air tight container or aluminum tray or any other container and cover and freeze again for atleast 5 to 6 hours or till the ice cream sets.
8. Repeate 5 and 7 for 2-3 times to get a very smooth creamy ice cream.
9. Scoop and serve immediately. Drizzle some chocolate and garnish with tutti frutti bits and cheery if you like, That’s it. Enjoy this exotic and very unique ice cream made of refreshing palm seeds.