This is a very easy and delicious salad recipe. Chickpeas sundal/salad is a staple dish for Ganesha Chathurthi and we make it not just during the Ganesha festival. A regular in our home.
When you add tempering to salad it lifts it up to a whole new level. In South India, our dish is not completely cooked if we do not add tempering, be it sambar, rasam, dal, chutney or stir fry veggies.
Here’s a very simple and easy sundal recipe-
Chickpeas – 1 cup
Onions – ½, finely chopped
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Dried red chillies – 3-4 nos
Oil – 1 tspn
Mustard seeds – 1 tspn
Cumin seeds – ½ tspn
Urad dal – ½ tspn
Salt to taste
Fresh grated coconut – ¼ cup
1. Soak chickpeas over night. Next day pressure cook chickpeas for 3-4 whistle with just few tablespoons of water and a teaspoon of salt.
2. In a wok/pan heat oil. To hot oil add mustard seeds and let them crackle. Then add cumin seeds and urad dal and saute for 10-20 seconds.
3. Now add finely chopped onions, dried red chillies and curry leaves and saute for 10 seconds.
4. Add fresh grated coconut and mix well, let it cook for a minute.
5. Finally add cooked chickpeas with no water in it. Season with salt. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. Turn off flame.
That’s it. Simple and easy sundal is ready! This can be a great after school snack or even tea time snack. Eat it as much you want without the guilt! 😀
Comments & Reviews
What is urad dal? I looked it up and it said you could use black lentils or mung beans. Is the urad dal cooked?
This is urad dal (and no urad dal is not cooked, we use dried ones and add it to oil it cooks rather gets roasted in oil)
We too makes sundal to vinayaka chavithi ….nice clicks jyothi
Thank you Shailaja 😀