This is a very easy and delicious salad recipe. Chickpeas sundal/salad is a staple dish for Ganesha Chathurthi and we make it not just during the Ganesha festival. A regular in our home.
When you add tempering to salad it lifts it up to a whole new level. In South India, our dish is not completely cooked if we do not add tempering, be it sambar, rasam, dal, chutney or stir fry veggies.
Here’s a very simple and easy sundal recipe-
Chickpeas – 1 cup
Onions – 1/2, finely chopped
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Dried red chillies – 3-4 nos
Oil – 1 tspn
Mustard seeds – 1 tspn
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tspn
Urad dal – 1/2 tspn
Salt to taste
Fresh grated coconut – 1/4 cup
1. Soak chickpeas over night. Next day pressure cook chickpeas for 3-4 whistle with just few tablespoons of water and a teaspoon of salt.
2. In a wok/pan heat oil. To hot oil add mustard seeds and let them crackle. Then add cumin seeds and urad dal and saute for 10-20 seconds.
3. Now add finely chopped onions, dried red chillies and curry leaves and saute for 10 seconds.
4. Add fresh grated coconut and mix well, let it cook for a minute.
5. Finally add cooked chickpeas with no water in it. Season with salt. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. Turn off flame.
That’s it. Simple and easy sundal is ready! This can be a great after school snack or even tea time snack. Eat it as much you want without the guilt! 😀