Mutton Curry is a very popular dish in India, the curry is prepared slightly different in different region tweaking a little bit with the ingredients and the spices and spice blend used. This mouth-watering earthy dish with a hot and spicy flavor and makes you feel like you had a hearty meal..!
This particular recipe comes from my mom and is a family favorite. Enriched with a curd to tenderize the meat, flavored with aromatic spices, the meat is slow cooked in pressure cooker until tender and melt in your mouth.
Here’s spicy mutton curry recipe
Mutton – 500gms (½ kg)
Onions – 2 medium sized
Tomatoes – 3 medium sized(pureed)
Ginger-garlic paste – 2 tbspn
Mutton masala powder – 3 tbspn
Pepper powder – 4 tbpsn
Salt – to taste
Cloves – 4 nos
Cinnamom – 2 inch stick
Bay leaves – a small piece
Oil – 2-3 tbspn
Coriander leaves for garnish
Curd – 2 tbspn
Red chilli powder – 2 tbspn
Turmeric powder – ¼ tspn
Salt – 1 tspn
Ingredients For Mutton masala powder-
Dried Red Chillies – 6-8 nos
Coriander seeds – 2 tspn
Cumin seeds – 1 tspn
Black Pepper- 1 tspn
Biriyani Leaf- 1
Cloves – 1 tspn
Cinnamon sticks – 2
Staranise – 2
Fennel seeds – 1 tspn
Method of preparation:-
For the masala powder
Dry roast all the ingredients on mow flame until the spices release nice aroma(make sure you do not burn the spices). Cool and then grind into a fine powder. Store in air tight container. You can use this masala powder for any non-verg curry, or biryani.
1. Clean and wash the mutton. Add all ingredients called under ‘for marinade’ to mutton pieces, mix well and place them in fridge for min 1 hour.
2. After 1 hour you are ready to cook the mutton curry.
3. In a pressure cooker add oil. To hot oil, add whole spices cloves, cinnamon, bay leave, allow them to sluptter. Add chopped onions and saute until onions turn translucent.
4. Next add ginger-garlic paste, saute and let it cook until the raw smell of the paste goes. Add tomato puree and cook until oil seperates from side of the pan.
5. Add mutton masala powder and pepper powder and mix well. Now add the marinated mutton pieces, mix and let the mutton cook for 5 mins. Next add required water depending on the consistency of the curry preferred. Check for salt and season, and adjust if required. Close the pressure cooker and cook mutton on medium low flame for 3-4 whistles.
6. After 4 whistles switch off stove and let the pressure of the cooker release by itself.
7. Spicy mutton curry is ready. Serve this hot and spicy mutton curry with rice, rotis, dosas, idli. I served this yummy mutton curry as a side for Sheermal!
What is Sheermal!? is the question in your mind right now, am I right! Keep watching this space for to know what Sheermal is. Sheermal recipe coming soon! 🙂 Till then happy cooking!
[…] There you will find 11397 more Infos: currytrail.in/2014/11/spicy-mutton-curry-recipe/ […]
[…] I served them with Spicy Mutton Curry for dinner. It was […]