Molten Cake is one of the MUST HAVE recipes. It’s simple, delicious and has an appealing presentation. Rich, dark, and gooey chocolate. I love making these because they are not only delicious, but they are super quick and easy to make. The batter can be made in about in about 10 minutes, with only 7 ingredients that you probably already have on hand. Top it with a little powdered sugar and some fruit and you have an amazing dessert that has a rich chocolate flavour, perfect level of sweetness, and a gooey center. A recipe that looks so impressive yet is made in just 20 minutes! Delicious and easy.
There are days when I look for some inspiration, just to make me feel good and happy. I tend to rely on books/music to pep me up. Today was one of those days, which is making me dull and un inspired to do any thing at all. Then I heard my hubby was listening to this track from Green day and I was totally loving it and inspired by the track, I heard this beautiful track for a couple of times and I was feeling so much better and that I decided to bake something. 😀 see how a good music or book can pep you up! 😛 I love Green Day and if you have not heard their songs I strongly recommend you to listen to a few tracks by them. :D. Well I’m just not a fan of green day, I love Pink Flyod, MJ, and lot more bands actually .
For this week Bake Along 70 , Subhashini gave us this perfect Molten Lava Cake recipe, This is the most decadent and delicious ever!
Here’s the most decadent molten lava cake.
Dark Chocolate – 1 cup
Butter – ¾ cup
Icing Sugar – ¾ cup
Whole eggs – 2
Egg yolks – 2
Vanilla extract – ½ teaspoon
All-purpose flour – ¼ cup
Method of preparation:-
1. Generously butter custard pans / silicon muffin cups. Place them over your baking tray.
2. Add butter and chopped chocolate into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high power for 50 seconds and stir until butter and chocolate melts without any lumps. You can also use a double boiler for the same. Let cool to room temperature.
3. Add the eggs and the yolks into a another bowl. Whisk them to break up and combine well. Add icing sugar to the eggs mixture and whisk well again until pale yellow.
4. Add vanilla and beat again. Add the chocolate-butter mixture into the eggs-sugar mixture and whisk well until combined well.
5. Add the flour finally and whisk just until combined. Refrigerate for 10 minutes, while you pre-heat your oven to 200 degree C.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Bake in pre-heated oven at 200 degree C for 9 to 10 minutes. The sides of the cake would be set well, while the center will still be wobbly and soft to the touch. That is how it is supposed to be. Do not be tempted to bake for longer thinking it has not baked well. Else you will loose your lava.
7. Cool on wire rack just until you are able to bear the heat to pick up the cups. But keep it still warm to serve. They will look risen once out of the oven, and they might settle down flat, which is normal.
8. Run a knife through the sides of the cake and unmould the cups into your serving plate. Dust some icing sugar on top. Serve them hot/warm. Do not cool it down completely or you might not see the lava magic oozing out. If in case you got left overs, you can store them refrigerated. Serve them back again after few seconds(about 15-20 secs only)of microwaving, but if you microwave the cakes that are at room temperature they will not have the lava inside and they would turn into chocolate pudding, which is also delicious :D. So try to serve it while it’s still warm if you want to refrigerate it make the batter, store it in fridge and bake the cakes for 9 mins just before you want to serve that way you can serve them as molten lava cake with gooey lava inside.
1. Egg less bakers add about 4 tbspns of milk insted of egg.
2. I made this in small batch, I reduced the recipe to ¼ than mentioned and I got about 5 small molten lava cakes.
3. Even oven behaves differently. In molten lava cake we are looking of gooey center so closely watch the cake while in oven, you want them to bake only on the sides, top bottom,while center is still wobbly.
Comments & Reviews
usha Rajan says
very nice pics , nice presentation . like step by step recepe presentation
Glad you liked it Usha 🙂
usha Rajan says
looks very yummy . will make it . thank you for your recepes
For eggless baking ,do we add 4 to 5 tbsn for each egg ?
can we substitute butter with oil. If yes how much oil?
Can we substitute butter with oil, if yes how much oil should I use???
Prathima – you can definitely substitute butter with oil. But you’ll have to compromise on the texture of the cake a bit. I’m giving you the approximate measure, use about 1/4 cup oil. Please check the consistency of the batter. The batter like I mentioned shouldn’t be too thick or too runny. Adjust oil quantity accordingly.
Dolphia Nandi-Arnstein says
This is GORGEOUS!! Absolutely love your recipe Jyothi… <3
Thanks Dolphia! Glad you liked it dear 😀
Thalia @ butter and brioche says
It’s been TOO long since I indulged in a good molten lava cake. Thanks for the inspiration… I have to make one soon!
Thalia – Thanks. Do make one soon and relish it 😀
Linda @ Veganosity says
First, this cake looks like a little slice of Heaven! Second, I love Green Day, I haven’t heard this song in so long, thanks for the reminder Jyothi. 🙂
Linda, thanks.. That’s awesome to hear you like Green Day. We have a lot of things in common 😀
Hw can it be made eggless?
Nuti – to make it egg less add 3-4 tbspns of milk in place of egg.
Beautiful looking cake. So yumm!
Thanks Minnie. Oh it was soo yum! 🙂