Kola Urundai is a popular South Indian minced meat ball recipe. Every region have their own version of making these balls are usually made using minced meat. Vegetarian version of these kola urundai/minced balls are made using raw banana, yam, soya, ….
The only difference in masala kola urundai is that I have added a extra masala mix to the minced meat. Read on to check out the recipe.
Masala kola urundai recipe
Minced chicken – 250 gms
Finely chopped onions – 1 no.
Finely chopped green chillies – 3 no(adjust as per your spice requirement)
Finely chopped coriander and mint leaves – 1 cup
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
For the masala powder-
Coriander seeds – 1 tbspn
Cumin seeds – 1 tbspn
Cloves – 2-3 nos
Cinnamon – 1 small piece
Dried red chillies – 3-4 nos(adjust as per your spice requirement)
Cashew nuts – ¼ cup
Oil – 1 tspn
Method of preparation:-
1. In a pan, add 1 tspn oil and roast all the ingredients mentioned under masala powder except for cashew nuts. Roast them on medium flame until fragrant. Do not burn. Remove from pan and keep it aside to cool.
2. In the same pan add cashew nuts and roast until they start to change color. Remove from flame and let it cool.
3. In a blender add all the roasted ingredients and grind them into a fine powder.
4. Now to the minced chicken add onions, green chillies, coriander leaves, salt and the masala powder and mix until combined.
5. Make lemon sized balls of the chicken and deep fry in oil until golden brown on medium flame.
6. Yummy kola urundai is ready. Serve them as it is as snack or as side dish with rice.