Kala channa(dry black chickpeas) is very healthy and has high protein content and provides a nutritional meals. It’s believed that black chickpeas has more fiber content than Garbanzo beans. You would have probably used only channa/chickpeas in channa masala, in this post, I have added potato/aloo along with chickpeas. This makes the curry even more delicious.
Here’s kala channa aloo masala recipe
Black chick peas/Kala channa – 1 cup
Pototoes – 2 nos(medium size)
Onions – 1 ½ large(finely chopped)
Tomatoes – 2 large(finely chopped)
Ginger julienne- 4-5 pieces
Shah jeera/Cumin seeds – 1 tspn(if you don’t have shah jeera, you can use normal jeera too)
Green chillies – 2 chopped
Red chilli powder(Kashmiri red chilli powder) – 2 tbspn(adjust as required)
Garam masala powder – 1 tspn
Coriander powder – 1 tbspn
Salt to taste
Oil – 3 tbspn
Method of Preparation:-
1. Soak kala channa in water over night. Next day cook channa with a tspn of salt and keep aside until use.
2. Cook potatoes(do not over cook them and make them mushy). Keep aside
3. In a wide pan, heat oil. To hot oil add shah jeera and ginger julienne and wait until jeera crackle.
4. Add chopped onions, and green chillies and saute until onions turn translucent.
5. Add chopped tomatoes and cook until tomatoes become mushy. Add red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt to taste and mix well.
6. Add cooked black chickpeas and potatoes and mix again. Finally add water(based on consistency required) and cook it on medium flame for 10-15 mins.
7. check for seasoning. Finally add garam masala powder mix well and let it simmer for another 2 mins. Switch off flame, kala channa aloo masala is ready.
8. Garnish with all or any ingredients mentioned under the list for ganish. Serve hot with pori’s, roti’s, chapathi’s or white rice. D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!
1) I have cooked chick peas and potatoes seperately first, then added them to the curry. Alternatively you can add then uncooked(in step 6) and pressure cook them(one pot meal/curry)
2) The amount of red chilli powder and green chillies can be adjusted as per your spice requirement.