Jamun fruit, also called Indian blackberry, is a popular seasonal fruit in India. Its deep purple color and striking sweet, sour taste is one of the reasons the fruit is relished by everyone. But what makes it more desirable is that fact that it is loaded with nutrients that collectively work toward improving health. This fruit is a boom for diabetic people.
The place I grew up, roads were lined up with Jamun trees. The path would turn purple with these fruits lying all over the road. These seasonal fruit floods the markets during May to August. My days were never complete without a visit to those purple colored foot path to pick loads of these berries, sit under the tree and eat un-washed jamuns and would wait until my tongue turned purple. Then we all friends would rush back home just to check how purple tongue has turned.
Like lot of kids, I too took pride in my purple tongue, would check the mirror often to see my colored tongue. I would also stick my colored tongue out to scare my little brother who was a baby then! 😀 Come on don’t judge me now, I’m sure most of you would have done it! 😀 I was a little brat then! 😛
One thing you never do is drink water immediately after eating this fruit, which I always did and ended with a sore throat! 🙁
When I saw some fresh and juicy jamuns in the market, I was tempted to buy it. It’s a common sight in India to see people eating Jamuns with sprinkled salt. Some also mash the jamuns roughly and soak it in buttermilk and drink.
I wanted to try popsicles. I pureed jamuns and thick curd, poured into popsicle molds and that’s it! Enjoyed it as a cool summer delight.
Here’s easy peasy jamun fruit yogurt popsicle recipe-
Jamun fruit(fresh or frozen) – 1 cup
Thick curd/yogurt – 3/4 cup
Sugar – 2-3 tbspns(optional)
1. Wash the fruit and remove the seeds from it.
2. Mash the flesh of the fruit roughly.
3. Add the mashed fruit, thick yogurt and sugar(if you like to add) and blend into a smooth mix.
4. Pour the mix into Popsicle molds, place a Popsicle stick in the middle and put it in the freezer until they are set.
5. Just before serving, remove the molds from the freezer and let it sit out for 3-5 minutes. Hold the popsicle stick and gently pull it out by shaking a bit. Some dip the molds in warm water to remove the popsicles, I personally don’t do that as the shape of the molds will be damaged as some part of it will melt.
That’s it, serve them immediately.
P.S – you wont get a dark purple tongue with these popsicles. eat the fruit raw as it is if you want to experience purple tongue! 😀