With Christmas around the corner, most of you would be getting busy shopping, baking, decorating and planning for the New Year to come as well. December is a wonderful month for all the Bakers. You get to bake traditional dishes, try new dishes. Being a amateur in baking, I wanted to try so many new dishes and learn many new things. One such dish I was waiting for a very long time to bake is this Christmas Tree Cookies. This is a traditional Irish recipe and it’s super simple to make. And the end dish is a beautiful cute little Shortbread Christmas tree cookies. Go ahead read the recipe and don’t miss to make these cute little tree cookies for this Christmas 😉 😀
Here’s Irish Shortbread Christmas Tree Cookies recipe
Recipe inspired from here-
FOR THE COOKIES:
1 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
FOR THE ICING:
1 cup confectioners sugar (icing sugar)
green and yellow food dye
Red edible pearl decorations
METHOD OF PREPARATION :-
1. Preheat the oven to 180oC
2. Add room temperature butter to a bowl of a electric beat and beat the butter until the butter loosens up, then add sugar and beat butter – sugar mix until they are light and pale in color.
3. Add the vanilla extract.
4. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt, then add them to the butter-and-sugar mixture. Mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together. Dump onto a surface dusted with flour and shape into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 60 minutes.
5. Roll the dough 1/2-inch thick and cut using different size star cutters.
6. Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 15 -8 minutes, until the edges begin to brown lightly. Allow to cool to room temperature.
7. To make your frosting: Mix your confectioners sugar with a few drops of water and stir. Take care to not add too much for it will be really hard to get it thick again.
8. In seperate bowls, add the food color to reach desired color of green and yellow.
9. Frost each cookie for the trees. Make sure to save some small stars to be dyed yellow to go on top. Leave to dry.
10. Stack the cookies on top of each other binding each layer with a drop of frosting.
11. Once dry, place your pearl decorations or any other decoration candies on the points of the stars
12. Finish the tree by placing the star on top!!! Enjoy this cookie 🙂
1) The smaller star shaped cookies will cook faster than the bigger ones. So make sure you remove the smaller cookies much before the mentioned time or you can bake bigger cookies seperately and smaller ones seperately
2) Christmas tree is not complete without decoration. So I used red candies to decorate the Tree cookies. You can use any candy pearls of any color and decorate it.