Rasagulla is famous Bengali sweet made from paneer(Indian cottage cheese). Rasagulla is most favorite Indian dessert which is sweet, soft and spongy in texture. Cook the paneer or cottage cheese dumpling in cardamom flavored sugar syrup. Garnish with pistachios. I posted Rasmalai in my previous post, which is made from Rasagulla,
Here’s home made rasagulla recipe with step by step pictures
Full cream milk – 1 litre
Vinegar – 1 1/2 tspn
Sugar – 1 1/2 cups
Water – 1 litre
Cardamom powder – 1/2 tspn
Pistachios – chopped few pieces for garnish(Optional)
Method of preparation:-
1. Pour the milk into a pan and keep it on medium flame. Bring it to boil.
2. Now add vinegar to boiling milk and mix well.
3. Keep stirring to avoid burning of milk at the bottom of the pan.
4. Milk will start to curdle. Continue to stir and boil milk until milk has fully curdled and whey is clear and seperated from milk fully.
5. Once you see clear whey turn off the flame and add ice cubes, adding ice cubes will prevent the curdled milk from becoming hard by stopping it from cooking further due to heat in the pan.
6. Drain the curdled milk into a cheese cloth and wash it under running water immediately to wash out vinegar smell.
7. Squeeze out excess water and hang the paneer as shown for about 30 mins to remove any further water from it.
8. After 30 mins, remove the paneer into a bowl and knead it for 10-12 mins until it forms soft and smooth dough.
9. Make small balls from the paneer dough. I used half the dough to make small round balls and half into flat shapes for rasmalai.
10. In a pressure cooker add water and sugar and bring it to boil. Once water boils, add cardamom powder and mix well.
11. Now add the paneer balls into the syrup and close the lid and cook it for 2 whistles. After 2 whistles turn off the stove.
12. Let the pressure in the cooker release by itself, then remove the lid of the cooker, you will see that rasagullas are double the size.
13. Once it cools down completely, refrigerate it and serve chillied. Garnish with chopped pistachios is perferred.
14. Most delicious, soft, spongy and sweet rasagullas are ready to be devoured!
Recipe inspired from Rak’s Kitchen.