Making cream cheese at home is very easy. It’s almost similar to making paneer/cottage cheese at home. Making cheese at home is such a fun and satisfying work. Though the actual cream cheese making involves some culture making…..this is only a substitution but works very well. Cream cheese is actually paneer(cottage cheese) with yogurt added to it. Cream cheese in India are usually not very easily available and they are priced very high. If you can make cream cheese at home with just 3-4 ingredients then why buy it from store!!
Here’s home made cream cheese recipe. Recipe adapted from Sharmispassion
Full Fat Milk – 1 litre
Curd(Yogurt) – 1 tbsp
Lemon Juice – 1.5 tbsp (or) Vinegar – 2 tbsp
Cream – 1/4 cup(optional – adding cream will result in richer version of cream cheese)
Method of preparation:-
1. Boil milk, add lemon juice and stir continuously until the whey water and cheese separates. Switch off flame.
2. Immediately pour this into a muslin cloth and drain water. Then wash it in cold water twice atleast to get rid of the lemon flavor. Leave it aside keeping a container under it for 15mins for the water to drain. Some even add ice cubes to stop the cooking process and then drain and wash in cold water.
3. Then add curd and mix well. Add cream at this stage if you prefer to add, I added 1/4 cup of cream and mixed well. Then transfer it to the mixer and grind this mixture to a smooth paste.
4. Now transfer this again to the muslin cloth and bring the ends together and tie a knot and hang it on a cupboard handle. Leave it aside for 5-6 hours till all the liquid is drained completely. You can place a container under the hanging to collect the dripping. Then open and collect cream cheese in a bowl and refrigerate it overnight.
5. Your homemade cream cheese is ready…When you want to use it, bring it to room temperature then use it for your cheese cakes or frosting for cakes or for some yummy cheesy dips…Store in a air tight container and refrigerate. you can store it in fridge for 2 weeks.