We all love finger food ,don’t we? A few days back me and hubby walked into one of the fast food joints to just grab some finger foods to go. Hubby ordered chicken nuggets. They weren’t half bad but it did satisfy the craving to have nuggets. The reason it was coated in some kind of batter, deep fried and it didn’t taste good at all to me. I didn’t go more after a single bite. I told my hubby I can do better nuggets! The thought for making some good chicken nuggets started then. My friend “google” helped me with baked chicken nuggets recipes, but at large almost all the recipes used parmesan cheese and pancho bread crumbs. But I was on a mission to make like really healthy nuggets, so I never wanted to add any fat/cheese to my nuggets. After a few minutes, I suddenly got this idea to use just olive oil to help coat the chicken pieces with crumbs and I went for a healthy and nutritious version of crumb, I used oats and corn flakes. How cool is that! That’s my version of healthy baked chicken nuggets.
Here’s healthy baked chicken nuggets recipe-
Boneless chicken breasts cut into even bite size pieces – 500 gms
Pepper powder – 2 tbspn(adjust as per your spice tolerance)
Salt to taste
Olive oil – 1/4 cup
Seasoning – 2 tbspn(I used spiced pizza seasoning, you can use regular dried herb Italian seasoning)
For the crumb-
Oats – 1/4 cup
Corn Flakes – 1/4 cup
Method of preparation:-
1. Clean and wash the chicken pieces. Pat dry them on kitchen towel. Make sure they are completely dry.
2. Add pepper powder and salt to chicken pieces and mix well until every piece of chicken is coated with the seasoning.
3. Add oats and corn flakes to a blender and pulse until a coarse powder is formed, the consistency will be similar to pancho bread crumbs.
4. Transfer the oats and corn flakes crumb into a bowl, add the seasoning and mix well.
5. In another bowl add the olive oil and keep aside.
6. Pre heat the oven to 200 C, line a baking tray with parchment paper.
7. Dip the chicken pieces in olive oil, then coat it with crumbs.
8. Place them on baking tray, spray/drizzle olive oil on top.
9. Bake it in pre heated oven for 8-10 mins, then flip over and bake for another 5-7 mins or until it’s cooked through.
10. What can be more kid friendly than chicken nuggets, even for the pickiest kids. Serve them with ketchup, garlic mayo, bbq sauce or whatever you like to dip your nuggets into.