Grilled foil packet potatoes are perfect side dish for BBQ dinner or just about any meal. It’s super easy to throw together everything into foil packets and grill it over camp fire, grill or oven. And clean-up? So little, so easy!
What’s Best About Grilled Baked Potatoes In Foil?
1. Potatoes are heavenly. Bake it, fry it or grill it. It’s all so good! Grilled potatoes are timeless recipes and grilling in foil packets are age old tradition when you are out in the patio for BBQ party.
2. Grilling meat, potatoes and veggies all over the grill at the same time to serve a delicious summer meal is the best part of summer I love. You can get your dinner done quicker on the camp fire or BBQ.
3. Summer meal isn’t complete without grilled potatoes in foil packets. For an ULTIMATE SUMMER MEAL serve grilled potatoes with grilled meat.
4. I love grilled baked potatoes in foil with grilled meat. With BBQ grilled chicken and grilled potatoes on the side, and sour cream to slather it on, I’m thinking that’s gonna be your favorite camp-fire meal. Why don’t you give it a try and see if you agree! Try it with grilled lamb, steaks, pork chops.
5. You only need some simple basic ingredients. Garlic, fresh herbs, salt and pepper, cheese. Simple, but the best way to flavor potatoes.
6. You can throw in a cube of butter as well for rich, super tender, delicious grilled potatoes. We skipped on butter, instead used some olive oil. Red potatoes are great for grilling. This recipe uses a mix of red, purple skin and yellow potatoes.
7. This grilled potatoes in foil packets is so versatile, you can adapt and change it as per your preference and availability of ingredients. Flavors, seasonings can be changed. Think of simple flavors like rosemary, butter, salt and pepper, or some zesty flavors with lemon, chili and garlic.
Ingredients you’ll need
- ▢1 lb small potatoes Yukon or red potatoes or a mix of both red and golden Yukon potatoes
- ▢3 tablespoon olive oil
- ▢2 tablespoon garlic minced
- ▢Salt to taste
- ▢Pepper to taste
- ▢2 tablespoon fresh thyme finely chopped
- ▢3 tablespoon fresh rosemary finely chopped
- ▢4 bacon strips cut into small pieces
- ▢1 cup cheddar cheese
- ▢½ cup Parmesan cheese
- ▢3 Cubes of butter optional
For Garnish –
- ▢Extra cheddar cheese for garnish
- ▢Sour cream for garnish
- ▢Green onions
How to grill foil packet potatoes?
- Dice potatoes into 1 inch cubes. You can use a mix of red and yellow potatoes.
- Into a large bowl add diced potatoes and all the ingredients – olive oil, minced garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper, cheddar cheese and Parmesan.
- Mix until everything comes together.
- Arrange potatoes on a large piece of greased foil. Pro-Tip : Place a cube of butter over the potatoes, before folding the wrap. Butter will give it rich taste and potatoes turns more delicious! This is optional step. Fold the edges to make foil packet. Pierce few holes into the packets to let steam out while grilling.
- Divide into 3 portioned foil packets and fold the foil. Grill it on camp fire, BBQ or in oven whichever is you prefer. Cover the potatoes with lid if you use the grill. Lid helps trap the heat inside just cooks potatoes all way through. Takes about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Once grilled, remove packets from fire. Open and fold the ends of the foil packs. Load it with green onions, cheddar and Parmesan cheese and sour cream on the side. Serve it directly in foil packets
- It serves great on the sides of grilled meat.
How long to grill foil packet potatoes?
Heat up your grill over medium heat. Grill foil packet potatoes over grill for 20-30 minutes or until a tooth pick slides through the potatoes easily.
Please note grilling time will vary depending on the temperature variations in your grill. Adjust the time to grill accordingly.
You want to check the potatoes if it’s cooked with tooth pick test.
Oven Grilling –
Potato packed can be grilled in the oven at 425F for about 20 minutes or until tooth pick slides through the potatoes easily.
CONSIDER TRYING OUR OTHER POTATO RECIPES:
Garlic Butter Herbs Instant Pot Roasted Potatoes
Don’t forget to Subscribe to CurryTrail Recipes below to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
LOVE THIS RECIPE? KEEP IN TOUCH AND DON’T MISS OUT ON ANY OF CURRYTRAIL RECIPES! FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, TWITTER.
HAVE YOU TRIED ONE OF MY RECIPES? I’D LOVE TO SEE WHAT YOU’VE MADE! TAKE A PICTURE AND USE THE HASHTAG #CURRYTRAIL ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE! I’LL DO A HAPPY DANCE IF YOU TRY MY RECIPE AND SHARE IT WITH US!
📋 RECIPE – Grilled Potatoes in Foil Packets
- 1 lb small potatoes Yukon or red potatoes or a mix of both red and golden Yukon potatoes
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon garlic minced
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon fresh thyme finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 4 bacon strips cut into small pieces
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 Cubes of butter optional
For Garnish –
- Extra cheddar cheese for garnish
- Sour cream for garnish
- Green onions
- Dice potatoes into 1 inch cubes.
- Add all the flavouring agents – olive oil, minced garlic, thyme, rosemary, bacon, salt, pepper, cheddar cheese and Parmesan. Mix until everything comes together.
- Divide into 3 portions.
- Arrange potatoes on a large piece of greased foil.Pro-Tip : Place a cube of butter over the potatoes, before folding the wrap. Butter will give it rich taste and potatoes turns more delicious! This is optional step.
- Fold the edges to make foil packet.
- Pierce few holes into the packets to let steam out while grilling.
- Grill it on camp fire, BBQ or in oven whichever is you prefer.
- Cover the potatoes with lid if you use the grill. Lid helps trap the heat inside just cooks potatoes all way through.
- Takes about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Once grilled, remove packets from fire.
- Open and fold the ends of the foil packs.
- Load it with green onions, cheddar and Parmesan cheese and sour cream on the side. Serve it directly in foil packets.
- It serves great on the sides of grilled meat.
- If you want crispy bacon bits, considering frying bacon in a pan first and topping it after potatoes are grilled in foil packets. This will keep bacon crispy.
- From my experiments I noticed, grilling potatoes along with raw bacon in oven did not turn it into crispy bits. But it was delicious though.
- Place a cube of butter over the potatoes, before folding the wrap to close. Butter will give it rich taste and potatoes turns more delicious! This is optional step.
- Don’t forget to pierce tiny holes into the packets. It’ll let steam out while grilling.
- On fire grill – 20-30 minutes, avoid placing it on direct flames.
- To bake in oven – at 375 degree F for about 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Comments & Reviews
Cheese Curd In Paradise says
I love all of the cheese, herbs, and bacon! Loaded potatoes are one of my favorite, but over a grill sounds even better! I can’t wait to try this recipe.
Thank you.I’m a potato addict and I loved this grilled potatoes so much
Mahy Elamin says
Ohmygosh! This is like a flashback (only tastier)! This just reminded me that I haven’t made potatoes in foil on the grill in ages! I love all the delicious herbs you have here. Can’t wait to make this!
Yes Mahy, with grilling season approaching this is perfect recipe to try
GUNJAN C Dudani says
This is a great idea of grilling potatoes. My family would love it as they are crazy for grilled potatoes. I am definitely trying this recipe.
Yes, its great for grilling
Sandhya Hariharan says
Loaded Potatoes in foil sounds like a plan. Perfect for picnics / garden parties.
Thank you Sandhya
OMG.. I am making these tomorrow.. My kids are so fed up with mash potatoes.. They will love these foil potatoes. So tasty and so easy to do
Potatoes in any form is my favorite. And I love mashed potatoes as well 🙂
Yum! Love the personal foil packets.