Is there anyone who doesn’t like panna cotta? I’d be surprised if I saw you raising your hands!Seriously I would be surprised! It is silky smooth, creamy, rich and delicious! It simply melts in our mouth!
Now, regular panna cotta is made with heavy cream and sugar. It’s delicious but unfortunately — not forgiving to your waistline. So do we have to give up on eating panna cotta? NOOOOO I can hear you scream that! Well No, we have a slightly healthier alternative. Instead of using whole cream which is full fat, we can use yogurt and Greek yogurt being the best!
The yogurt (and a little cream) are flavored with vanilla and the topping is with some fresh plum coulis! I love to serve panna cotta in clear glasses instead of making them in mould and unmoulding them onto a plate. When you serve panna cotta in clear glass, you get to see those beautiful layers and the colors. The gorgeous bright red colored plum coulis against the pure white panna cotta make it really extra special.
This luscious panna cotta manages to be both an indulgence and a healthy choice – does it get any better than this? Goodness of yogurt and the slight sweet tang taste from the plums makes it a perfect dinner party dessert!
It requires just 5 main ingredients and definitely makes it a easy dessert to make. The hands-on time to get this from kitchen to dining room is minimal—all you need is a little patience to let it set.
This version with Greek yogurt is thick and creamy, yet still light and airy. The sweetness level is low, but it’s still prevalent enough to make this an ideal dessert for those who want to indulge without crashing after a sugar rush or dealing with other side effects from heavily sweetened desserts. In fact you can have this for breakfast, Happily!
Here’s Greek yogurt panna cotta with plum coulis
Greek yogurt – 1 cup(if you cant get Greek yogurt, use plain THICK natural yogurt)
Fresh cream – 1/4 cup
Honey – 3 tbspn(adjust as per your choice)you can use sugar too
Gelatin – 3 tbspn
Vanilla extract – 1tspn
Water – 1 1/2 tbspn
For plum coulis-
Fresh plum – 5-6
Sugar – 2 tbspn
Water – 1 tbspn
1. First in a sauce pan, add fresh cream, honey or sugar and bring it to boil.
2. In a bowl add water and gelatin and microwave it for 10 seconds or until the gelatin dissolves completely.
3. When the cream and honey comes to a boil, remove from stove, add gelatin and whisk well until all gelatin is completely dissolved.
4. Put yogurt in another bowl. One gelatin is completely dissolved, pour this mixture into the yogurt bowl and whisk again.
5. Now strain the mixture into individual glasses or molds in which you plan to make panna cotta. Set it aside to cool completely. You can even pop them in fridge for few hours until they set.
6. While panna cotta sets, we will make the plum coulis.
7. Pit plums and coarsely chop. Keep aside a few pieces of plum for garnish. In a blender purée plums with water and pour through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing hard on solids. Discard solids.
8. Once panna cotta sets, gently pour plum coulis over the set panna cotta, garnish with plum pieces.
Serve this Greek yogurt panna cotta with plum coulis chilled! You can have these for breakfast too, Happily! 😀 ENJOY!